My Flat Closet Door Got a Real Makeover

9.6K Views
I had a damaged door and wanted to make it look new again but add character in the process
Time: 6 HoursCost: $20Difficulty: Medium
  • my flat closet door got a real makeover, closet, doors, painting
This is what my door looked like before I started, I wish now I would have taken pictures along the way but I didn't
This is my finished door. Hubby took it off the hinges and we put it on a work table. 1- I sanded the door 2- made lines for the boards using a sharpy and a straight edge 3- placed 1/8 inch tape over these lines 4- Used marque white paint from home depot and a wood grain tool to make wood grain on the sanded door (no primer coat) 5- after that dried I started by dry brushing a brown paint over the entire door following the direction of my boards. I used a very light hand with this and would use a paper plate to remove the excess from my brush so it wouldn't get too dark. 6- I then added some grey dry brushing here and there and also a little green mixed with some brown and black (I have some green colors in the bedroom) 7- I had some thin wood plant stakes that i cut to size to make faux hinges, spray painted them black 8- sealed the door with water based polyurethane 9- used a hot glue gun to glue the faux hinges onto the door We live in an old farm house so this type of door is very fitting PS the horse picture is an oil painting I did years ago

Suggested materials for this project:

• White paint (marque) laytex  (home depot)
  • Medium dark brown paint laytex  (Lowes)
  • Heavy weight acrylic paints  (amazon)
DP

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

Ask a Question
    • Maury hill
      Maury hill Tombstone, AZ

I love your door! It's the perfect inspiration for me. I want to make a double sliding barn door set to replace the UGLY vertical blinds. I was contemplating using plywood and routing the faux planks" but I like your method so much better.

• Maury hill
        Maury hill Tombstone, AZ

Sorry. I missed a set of quotation marks in my post and I wanted to clarify that the vertical blinds that came with this house are in the kitchen.