Carole
Carole
  • Australia

Another Visitor to the Garden - Winston the Pig!

One of our neighbours has acquired a pet pig. This pet pig has the potential to reach 100 kg, even though they are sold as mini pigs over here! We first encountered Winston on a bush walk where he was wearing a halter but no lead and was accompanying his owner and her beagle dogs. I think he thinks he is a dog! Here he is on our front yard. The beagles got out and he obviously thought he was part of the pack! He follows them everywhere! He is probably only about half grown here and stands about an inch taller than our Labrador at the moment. I think when he is full grown she had better watch out! Maybe we had all better watch out! LOL!
Winston wearing his halter with name tag on our front lawn
Here is Winston with one of his two beagle companions - heading in our direction!
Winston investigates the woodchip mulch - is this edible?
Catch me if you can - on the front lawn
Catch me if you can - on the front lawn

• Karen Hart

@Carole We own a pot bellied pig and his name is Wilson and is all black in color. Very intellligent creatures and listens better than our dogs lol! As long as you control their food intake they stay fit and slightly slender than many that I have seen. They do not reach full growth until the age of six and VERY easy to housebreak. :)

• Capernius

I have this rule that I live by... you do not mess with my garden, & we will get along just fine....mess with my garden, & we're gonna have problems. In the case of this hog, I would be as respectful as I know how, but also very demanding that he keep that hog out of my yard or it will end up in my freezer. I would give one warning & ONLY 1 warning. after that......

• Carole

@Capernius Maybe they should have named him Bacon or Pork Chop! Poor piggy! He grew tusks and so they sent him to a new home as he would catch their childrens legs with his tusks when they played. I think it was for the best as he was allowed freedom to roam and most people are not fenced in this area. If he dug up my front garden he would have been in big trouble - or at least his owner would have got a stern talking to!