Cover Up Your Router

$0

We keep our router in our living room, because that’s where we both have our laptops, and the signal reaches everywhere from that place. But the router is such an eyesore! When guests come over, all I can think of is that they're looking at this router. I searched on the internet and found a bunch of posts on how to turn an old broken book into a cover for the router. I thought this would be a good idea. I even checked with my computer savvy friend, who explained that as long as the back was open and the sides had space, the router will still work well. Once I found that out this project was a go.
Keep reading for more thorough details!
Here’s my eyesore router.
Step 1: Gather Your Supplies
I found someone throwing away this damaged book. It was the perfect size for this project, because it's just a little bit bigger than my router.
I used an old book (You can use a new one too, but I can't bring myself to rip up a book unless it's already going to the trash) and an exacto knife. Step 2: Remove the Pages

Carefully cut the pages at the spine away from the cover. Make sure to cut in the front and back.
I accidentally cut through the cover a little, but it still looked fine.
After you cut the pages from the cover, slowly pull it away.
Step 3: Tuck in the Router
I just stuffed the router and all the cords inside. There was plenty of room for it all.
Look how pretty my shelf looks now! No more ugly eyesore. If you don't like the cover (or the title of the book), you can decorate it however you like.
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Jsu1909875

What did you do with the antenna?

• May

Did it affect receptivity in other parts of the house?

• Linda Stadel-Sigmon

It didn't cause it to overheat?

• Ans10803042

That would be my concern too.

• Kimberly O'Hara

Did it overheat?

• Kimberly O'Hara

Did it overheat?

• Danielle

As long as the back is open and the sides have some space it will not overheat. Routers run pretty cool most of the time anyway and their vents are generally on the back. The cable modems you have to be more careful of, they run warmer and you have to check to see where the vents are because a lot of the newer models and the ones with a router built in have vents at the bottom....For those just use a much larger book and add small bumpers to the bottom as spacers to maintain air flow. (I am a computer tech with over 15 years experience, so yes, I am qualified to answer this)

• Snapoutofit

Thank you for this great idea and the tech advice as well.

• Scoot

This same idea was featured in Family Handyman magazine a couple of months ago. The next issue contained a Retraction for the whole idea Because it caused the router to overheat.

• Shawna Bailey

Not if you get a book that is larger. it only needs about a quarter of an inch on each side, and the back it open.

• Judi Hodgkin

If you live in a place where you frequently get higher temperatures, you could use a cardboard box. Simply cut the back off it and decorate it with paper to suit your decor. By leaving the back open (and therefore not blocking the vents), you can allow space for the router to breathe and the cables to not get too bundled up. As an IT professional of 23 years, I'm qualified to answer this question.

• MM

I think anything plugged into electricity needs vent space. And as common sense person for 50+ years, I am qualified to answer this question

• Donna

Since they are manufactured to sit either horizontally or vertically does turning it on it's side like this affect it over time? Obviously a book could be standing up or laying down but I just wondered...

• Mar4510240

my modem as my internet signels at front if i cover will interfear with my signal

• Shawna Bailey

really? it goes through walls, and can't co through a cardboard cover

• MM

It is affected by concrete walls and larger metal structures but if you imagine your house as a big ball, your router should be right in the centre. Like the centre of the earth.

• CKimball

Then don't do it. Simple as that
  • Misty

Where did the two antennas go?

• Shawna Bailey

bent them the other way

• Kirk Chapman

I'd warn against bending them "willy nilly" for anyone reading this as they usually need to go parallel or depending on your physical setup, point upward to then cascade downward (unless the router is on top level of home)
  • Iow8839598

Doesn't the router need to be cool and with it inside this book cover will it overheat and be a hazard?

• Shawna Bailey

Because the book cover is larger than the router there is about a half n inch on either side and the whole back is open. I checked with my friend you does IT and he assured me that was more than enough room to keep the router from over heating.

• Yofrendonna

My cable guy says no. Advised me not to do that. Ours might be different, but it could overheat and be a fire hazard. Ask your cable company first.

• Liz Suarez

Cover the router with pretty/design contact paper.
    • Kirk Chapman

This is ultimately a really bad idea. I work in IT (not that I'm some expert) but a lot of new routers have internal antennas and this is just one more layer of interference for the router to do its job properly...plus yes, overheating is potentially going to happen and heat is the ENEMY of any electronic. My $.02...I'd even warn against applying any kind of contact paper or adhesive material that again could be an unnecessary barrier for your signal. Just cable tie cords and it isn't that ugly, c'mon now!!
    • Traci Walden Domanek

love the idea...first thought was over heating!
    • Dottiewilkie

Kirk.... yes they are that ugly! But you can just set it behind a framed picture or a put it behind a plant. Shouldn't interfere with signal or cause overheating.
    • Annette

I put mine in a basket and sat it on the floor. Threw a small amount of greenery over the top but not enough to make it overheat.
    • Itsmemic

I love this idea, perhaps made a line of faux books? Like 3 or 4 with no separations and just place this H shape in front of the router?
  • Diane

Is it over heating yet? Is it working this way still ????
    • Aro25981274

This does need air it gets awfully hot
    • Cindy

You could drill holes in the book (on both sides) to give the heat a way to escape.
  • Marsha Shannon

How about creating your own cover with material, or contact paper and  cardboard
    • Lin Collins

But then it would appear to be a router covered in fabric or contact paper. Using a book actually disguises it so people not in the know see it and are unaware it is a router.
  • Debbie Bedford

Where are the antennas?
    • Wendy

The antennas are on the open side.. Towards the wall
  • Debbie.wozniak

can you tell us the name of the band playing in the background?
  • Sidney Rippy McLaughlin

My router gets a litte warm. Does this make yours get hot enclosed? I like the idea.

• Peter

You will absolutely melt some routers by putting them in an enclosure like this...

• Rou28246543

I wonder if one of those fake books would work.

• Robin

not a good idea. Routers need air flow around them or they will overheat and malfunction or cause a fire.