Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger

$0

This is the coolest trick to unclog a toilet. It's so much cleaner than using a plunger. I can’t promise it will work every time for you, but it worked every time I tried it. All you need is dish soap and hot water.
I would never actually photograph a real clogged toilet because that would be gross. But I wanted to show you how well this method worked, so I stuffed my toilet full of paper towels and toilet paper. I thought those were some pretty tough conditions.

Step 1: Gather Supplies
unclog a toilet without a plunger
I used dish soap and hot water. (I told you this was cleaner than using a plunger!)

Step 2: Squirt in Some Soap
unclog a toilet without a plunger
I just squirted in about ¼ cup of dish soap.
unclog a toilet without a plunger
You'll see the soap settle to the bottom. It lubricates the toilet bowl and helps break up the toilet paper.

Step 3: Add Very Warm Water
unclog a toilet without a plunger
I didn’t add boiling water because I didn’t want to damage any of the seals or the toilet bowl itself, but hot water helps break up all the toilet paper. Add enough to help break everything up, but make sure not to overflow the toilet.

Step 4: Flush
unclog a toilet without a plunger
You'll see the water slowly move down (it might take a few minutes, so be patient). Once that happens, feel free to flush it and watch the clog go down the drain. Easy peasy!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page. Prices updated as of August 15, 2018 11:36 PM - More info

• David Duke

My kid stuffed loads of tissue in the toilet. This technique worked 100%.

First used boiling water with shampoo and detergent but that was taking a bit long... so boiled more water...added liquid dishwasher, shampoo, detergent and fabric conditioner and poured it and it just flowed instantly! Thanks.

Note: I'm getting more info from https://mycloggedtoilet.com website.

• Baking soda Dawn and vinegar work great too. Use in this order Dawn squirt in about 1/4 cup, throw in some baking soda 1/4 cup, and pour in 1cup of white vinegar let set a few minutes I usually wait 5-10 (the baking Soda and vinegar take away the smell) then flush. This has worked almost every time I have tried it with only one exception. When your done your toilet is clean too.