Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger

$0

This is the coolest trick to unclog a toilet. It's so much cleaner than using a plunger. I can’t promise it will work every time for you, but it worked every time I tried it. All you need is dish soap and hot water.

I would never actually photograph a real clogged toilet because that would be gross. But I wanted to show you how well this method worked, so I stuffed my toilet full of paper towels and toilet paper. I thought those were some pretty tough conditions.

Step 1: Gather Supplies

unclog a toilet without a plunger

I used dish soap and hot water. (I told you this was cleaner than using a plunger!)

Step 2: Squirt in Some Soap

unclog a toilet without a plunger

I just squirted in about ¼ cup of dish soap.

unclog a toilet without a plunger

You'll see the soap settle to the bottom. It lubricates the toilet bowl and helps break up the toilet paper.

Step 3: Add Very Warm Water

unclog a toilet without a plunger

I didn’t add boiling water because I didn’t want to damage any of the seals or the toilet bowl itself, but hot water helps break up all the toilet paper. Add enough to help break everything up, but make sure not to overflow the toilet.

Step 4: Flush

unclog a toilet without a plunger

You'll see the water slowly move down (it might take a few minutes, so be patient). Once that happens, feel free to flush it and watch the clog go down the drain. Easy peasy!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Emma

Exactly how does the yeast keep the septic tank clean, does it cause the contents of the tank to evaporate? I'd like to know it regulate loose yeast would work if there is no cubed or tablet form yeast.

EmmainPh

• CaringKari

We had a septic tank for 23 years. Yeast will not unblock a drain. However, one package of yeast mixed in warm water and flushed down the sink drain once a week worked for us. We were a family of four and never had any septic tank issues. It works by breaking down the waste material and helps prevent the tank from getting full.

• S Davis

I have a related question. A lot of these posts suggest using a pumice stone to remove calcium or hard water stains inside the toilet. How does this not scratch the toilet bowl finish?

• Rocci Ledoux-Goodell
    30 minutes ago

How do I clean soap build up from black tile in my bathroom?

Thank you

• Carol Cole

Thank you, I hate plunging. I will try this the next time I have a clog.

• Jewellmartin

My husband not only uses a plunger, he uses the wrong type for our toilet bowls. He gets frustrated when the plunger takes so much strength, then wants me to wash the plunger. I have told him about the dish soap and hot water, but he never remembers it before he pulls out the plunger. Btw, another simple process is to close the lid and let the toilet contents start falling apart by itself. I do this when I’m low on dish soap, and this process has never failed me yet, either. Best wishes, all! ☺️