Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger

$0

This is the coolest trick to unclog a toilet. It's so much cleaner than using a plunger. I can’t promise it will work every time for you, but it worked every time I tried it. All you need is dish soap and hot water.

I would never actually photograph a real clogged toilet because that would be gross. But I wanted to show you how well this method worked, so I stuffed my toilet full of paper towels and toilet paper. I thought those were some pretty tough conditions.

Step 1: Gather Supplies

I used dish soap and hot water. (I told you this was cleaner than using a plunger!)

Step 2: Squirt in Some Soap

I just squirted in about ¼ cup of dish soap.

You'll see the soap settle to the bottom. It lubricates the toilet bowl and helps break up the toilet paper.

Step 3: Add Very Warm Water

I didn’t add boiling water because I didn’t want to damage any of the seals or the toilet bowl itself, but hot water helps break up all the toilet paper. Add enough to help break everything up, but make sure not to overflow the toilet.

Step 4: Flush

You'll see the water slowly move down (it might take a few minutes, so be patient). Once that happens, feel free to flush it and watch the clog go down the drain. Easy peasy!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Warm water

• Cathy Anne

You put paper towels in the toilet? Do they break down?

• SusanFVT

no, paper towels should not be flushed. our local wastewater district posted a warning about this because of the lack of toilet paper in our area. They said do NOT flush paper towels.

• Elia Solis

What do you use to clean build up on tubs?

• Jackey Williams

Open Pores of the tub with bleach using a soft. Let it sit, Rinse tub with cold water to seal the pores .

Works every time

• Rhonda Rochelle

Do you have to use palmolive?

• Bob
      17 minutes ago

I've used Dawn for years. This was my Mother's solution.

• Black Hills Rosie

Yes! I've used hot tap water, filling a 2 gallon bucket. It usually has taken several fills, letting it go down each time, before the water flushes easily. I hadn't thought of using dish detergent but that probably helps break down any buildup in the pipes, too. Thank you. I will definitely use this.

• HomyHolds

Indeed! Very warm water is very effective for unclogging!