Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

Unclog a Toilet Without a Plunger

$0

This is the coolest trick to unclog a toilet. It's so much cleaner than using a plunger. I can’t promise it will work every time for you, but it worked every time I tried it. All you need is dish soap and hot water.
I would never actually photograph a real clogged toilet because that would be gross. But I wanted to show you how well this method worked, so I stuffed my toilet full of paper towels and toilet paper. I thought those were some pretty tough conditions.

Step 1: Gather Supplies
unclog a toilet without a plunger
I used dish soap and hot water. (I told you this was cleaner than using a plunger!)

Step 2: Squirt in Some Soap
unclog a toilet without a plunger
I just squirted in about ¼ cup of dish soap.
unclog a toilet without a plunger
You'll see the soap settle to the bottom. It lubricates the toilet bowl and helps break up the toilet paper.

Step 3: Add Very Warm Water
unclog a toilet without a plunger
I didn’t add boiling water because I didn’t want to damage any of the seals or the toilet bowl itself, but hot water helps break up all the toilet paper. Add enough to help break everything up, but make sure not to overflow the toilet.

Step 4: Flush
unclog a toilet without a plunger
You'll see the water slowly move down (it might take a few minutes, so be patient). Once that happens, feel free to flush it and watch the clog go down the drain. Easy peasy!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Jsy28585404

can you use Bowl Cleaner 23 with septic tank?

• Jan Longtine

The man who put in our septic system said no. Also, he said not to use those blue things you hang in the toilet to keep it clean.

• Carole Borden

can you use regular yeast, like for making bread?

• Evelyn

I use loose yeast just like for baking bread. It feeds the bacteria that keeps your septic system working properly. You still have to pump it every 2 years but once a month put a 1/2 cup loose yeast in your toilet and flush

• Emma

Exactly how does the yeast keep the septic tank clean, does it cause the contents of the tank to evaporate? I'd like to know it regulate loose yeast would work if there is no cubed or tablet form yeast.

EmmainPh

• Barb

The yeast eats the stuff in your septic tank. All I have ever used is the loose type.

• David Duke

My kid stuffed loads of tissue in the toilet. This technique worked 100%.

First used boiling water with shampoo and detergent but that was taking a bit long... so boiled more water...added liquid dishwasher, shampoo, detergent and fabric conditioner and poured it and it just flowed instantly! Thanks.

Note: I'm getting more info from https://mycloggedtoilet.com website.

• Cindy Richardson

Baking soda Dawn and vinegar work great too. Use in this order Dawn squirt in about 1/4 cup, throw in some baking soda 1/4 cup, and pour in 1cup of white vinegar let set a few minutes I usually wait 5-10 (the baking Soda and vinegar take away the smell) then flush. This has worked almost every time I have tried it with only one exception. When your done your toilet is clean too.