Cabinet Turned Serving Tray

Remember that amazing work shop I showed you yesterday and that legit cutting board I made? Well…yaaaa I made a few things in what I will now call “Santa’s workshop.” Only thing was instead of making gifts for friends I was selfish and made a bunch of fun goodies for my house- oops! I couldn’t resist! I know I mentioned that my friend’s Dad makes cabinets, hence his amazing woodworking shop. So with that, there were some old cabinet doors that were leftover from some jobs.
http://zestitup.com/cabinet-turned-serving-tray/
Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
http://www.anyamcinroy.com/home
No use in letting those go to waste! I got to zesting! Now you may not have a friend with extra cabinet doors laying around, but hit up ReStore or a thrift store and you are sure to find some!!
I decided to match the cabinet to the dark wood in the rest of my home so I did a quick stain….and then let it dry.
Next I put a clear coat of sealer on the tray and let dry again. I really loved the outcome!
I really loved the outcome!
After my tray was all dry and sealed (this was a few days process) I grabbed the drill and measured symmetrical holes on both sides of the door.
Then I grabbed leather, 4 bolts and 4 nuts.
Next I cut strips of the leather a little past the length of my holes to create handles.
I marked the leather with a quick drill.
Then used a leather hole punch to create the actual holes.
Next I simply screwed in the bolts through the leather and into the hole to create secure handles.
Make sure to secure the bolts with the nuts.
Time to put it to use!! I can't wait to host with my new tray!!

• Cabinet door
  • Stain
  • Leather strips

Zest it Up

• Cmc

Love the color of the stain. What brand and color is it?

• Zest it Up

We don't recall the brand but it was a walnut stain with a sealant on top!
  • Karen

Did you cover or countersink the bolts so they tray wouldn't scratch the surfaces it sits on?

• Zest it Up

We did not but it's a good idea to cover them! Ours is mainly on a softer material that we usually don't worry about any scratches! But I definitely recommend covering them if it's going to be on a surface that can scratch easily.

• Cynthia Whitney

You also could use cabinet door hardware for handles especially if you have reclaimed doors that still have the hardware with them or if you have some nice antique hardware lying around. I have some that are glass that might work nicely. And I have lots of doors scavenged from a remodel of our church kitchen!

• RaeLyn J Hartford

Great project with old cabinet doors, it gets my creative juices flowing. The leather handles are an innovative idea. Thinking of two ideas for this! 1. creating mosaic in the center with my tumbled glass and pottery with a resin finish, 2. Placing old license plates from other states I have lived in. Thanks for this awesome idea!