Delusions of ingenuity
Delusions of ingenuity
  • Eureka, IL

Big-Screen TV/Gallery Wall

Hello, and welcome to my wall! I like to call it the vomit wall, but I thought you might not have come for a visit had I called it so.
I'm quite sure you're all familiar with the gallery wall concept. I'm not plowing any new ground here, except for that in my own home. If you're unfamiliar with this ingenious design concept, you won't be for long.
If you are a minimalist and hate this type of design,
big screen tv gallery wall, home decor, pest control, wall decor
No 60" flat screen can be enjoyed without a proper sound system, right? The speakers in the ceiling were already installed, but the wall speakers were only wired. This meant cutting holes in the drywall. Yay! Phil loves cutting holes in finished drywall. Just ask him. I triple-dog dare you.
Eventually, there were three holes cut and filled with speakers. By the way, that wall is fifteen feet across. That's a big wall. In a big room. In a big country, dreams stay with you . . .
Where was I?
The TV was placed back on the wall, and it got a new piece of furniture to live beneath it. Isn't it cool? No, we didn't make it, but I did spend a few nights on the street to pay for it. You'll also notice all the hanging wires from the TV are now neatly hidden inside the wall where they belong.
Once I replaced the other items that live in front of the wall, I started my design. You can tell by the snowman sitting on the chalk-painted chair that I started this project a really long time ago. And once again, Winter is coming.
I have quite a collection of decor from our previous home. Many are pieces I would not necessarily purchase today; however, I still like them, and I wasn't ready to put them all up for adoption just yet. Thank goodness I have a huge wall to fill; otherwise, I'd have no idea what to do with all this stuff. Start my own hoarding show, I guess.
I knocked the spider webs off all my old decor (and some new!) and picked out the pieces I wanted to use. I took pictures of them, printed them out full-size, and taped them to the wall.
Doesn't PBS have lovely tomatoes?
Of course, the designed evolved a bit from its inception, and it was a very slow-moving process. While Phil is a DIY master, he despises hanging things on the wall (unless it's me--by my neck). I think he'd rather have his nose hairs plucked with tweezers.
Which I have definitely done for him.
Here's how it finally turned out.
Here's my chalk-painted chair resting comfortably in the corner. I have a post about that as well.
We can't forget Eddie, now can we?!
Here's a shot from behind my amazing buffet I painted red. There's a sofa behind the buffet, and the buffet faces the kitchen island, so it's one big, open room.
Great for living in, but bad for photographing. Things don't look nearly so smooshy in person.
I realize that wall looks very full, but this room is huge, and in person, it doesn't look cluttered. At least, that's what I tell myself.
Why do I care if you think it looks cluttered anyway? It's not your house and I'm not making you live here. You know who you are.
I am, however, very happy you came to visit. Shall we take another look at the before?
And the after . . .
This is a very abbreviated post (I know, right??). If you want all the deets about the individual pieces (and more funny schtuff), please visit me at my blog linked up below! I love new readers!
-andi
Delusions of ingenuity