So I Painted Our Ugly Linoleum....

$50

I saw a this picture on Joanna Gaines' IG a few months back and I had major heart eyes over this floor, but replacing the tile in our guest bathroom wasn't/isn't an option for us. Fast forward to last month and I was still drooling over this tile so I did what any reasonable person would do - I went on Pinterest.
I looked at more floors and the caption on one of them caught my eye.... "The Girl Who Painted her Tile...WHAT?!" I found myself on Remington Avenue's blog and then the next thing I know I am at Hobby Lobby buying paint! I looked at their stencils too but our linoleum was 12x12 and I didn't find any big enough there so I ended up ordering one online through cuttingedgestencils.com. I followed the steps on Mysha's blog but did a few things differently/use a few different products so I thought I'd share my experience with you.

Joanna's Instagram picture

Before: Our bathroom had ugly sheet linoleum made to look like 12x12 tile and grout. I started by cleaning our floor. I swept at least 5 times and then cleaned it some more. You want to make sure there is nothing that is going to get in the way of your paint adhering properly and you certainly do not want dirt or anything else getting in your paint either.

Here are all of the products I used: DecoArt's Chalk Paint in Everlasting & Relic (sold at Hobby Lobby) and Minwax's Polycrylic, a foam roller, painter's tape, and a stencil. If you are using white, you want to be sure to buy a water based sealer - an oil base will yellow and tint your finish.
I used a paint brush for the first coat of paint so I could get it in all the "grout" line and make sure it was really worked in to the floor.

Here is what it looked like after the first coat - better already! I let the first coat dry for about an hour and then I rolled a second coat of gray. I let this coat dry for 2 hours before I came in with the stencil.

You can read the rest here, including how to seal the floor! http://www.livingthelifeofrileyblog.com/blog/so-i-painted-my-bathroom-floors

Click here to purchase yout Augusta Tile Stencil or to browse Cutting Edge Stencil's many options! https://www.idevaffiliate.com/33076/7-4.html

Here is a clip from when I painted our laundry room floor - I got a lot of questions about how to go around places like the toilet and edges. I hope this helps - more video tutorials available on my channel!

• Decoart Chalk Paint in Everlasting (white)  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Decoart Chalk Paint in Relic (gray)  (Hobby Lobby)
  • Stencil  (Cuttingedgestencils.com)

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
15 Home Improvement DIY Ideas You'll Want To Copy This Month
22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
15 Clever Ways To Repurpose Old Light Bulbs
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Susanna | Livin' The Life Of Riley

• Stephanie
    Stephanie

How has it held up?

• Louise Friday
    Louise Friday

Why not use a less expensive paint since you are sealing it w 5 coats of polycrylic

• Francesca
      Francesca

perhaps prices are different depending on where someone lives, but this paint is about the most inexpensive you can buy. At 8.99 per bottle, if she used four of each color it would still be cheaper than buying a quart can of each color. And unless it was a specialized paint you would still have to purchase a sealant for the final coat.

• Allison Long Grier
    Allison Long Grier

Can this be done on ceramic tile?

• Cassie
    Cassie

Great idea I have ugly vinyl in the bathroom from like the 1970 lol its in good shape but has yellowed over time and it needs a update. The bathroom is in the basement and not used a by guest. so Im looking for a cheap why to update this will work great for my bathroom...

• Bettybusby18
    Bettybusby18

Great job! I used exact same stencil in my bathroom turned out great.