Make a Fake Pumpkin Look Realistic

I love to transform pumpkins, especially faux pumpkins that I can save from year to year! It's great to be able to pull down the fall decorations box and have them all there waiting to be put out for this year!
The only problem with faux pumpkins is... well, they look like faux pumpkins! But with a simple aging wash you can take those pumpkins from plastic to looking like they just came out of the patch!
Aging Wash:
1 Part Burnt Umber Acrylic Paint
Dab of Black (Optional)
2 Parts Water
That is all it takes!
Once you have your wash mixed up, visually divide you pumpkin up into thirds. You will want to work with the wash in manageable sections. If your wash seems to be drying too quickly, add more water a little at a time.
Brush on the aging wash with a brush. (I use a cheap chip brush)
Then taking cheesecloth or a soft rag, begin tapping off the wash until you get the look you want.
The aging wash will fall into the creases and crevices of the pumpkin.
Repeat step to the rest of the pumpkin. You can go back and add or wipe off more to make your pumpkin look even.
For the full tutorial, including a video click the link below!
You can use this same wash to glaze pumpkins. Click HERE to see tutorials for 10 of my favorite ways to transform these faux pumpkins! There is something for everyone!
Be sure to follow Diva of DIY on Pinterest HERE

Diva of DIY

• B Wyndham

Any idea on how to make the faux pumpkins look like real ones if you want to carve them out? The inside of these pumkins are to white

• Dee3760623

Once you have painted them can you put them out side? Will the paint wash off ? Do you need to seal them? If so what do you recommend .?

• Diva of DIY

I scrubbed one of the aged pumpkins with water and a paper towel and I couldn't rub off the paint. For additional insurance you could spray them with Rustoleum matte clear coat

• Jeri Walker

I love the new look but what happened to the stems????

• Lovesunique

Thanks for sharing. Pumpkins can be expensive if you like to set out more than two or three!

• Brenda Snider Bauer

Love these pumpkins! I plan to “antique” mine too! Thanks for a great project.