Halloween Jack O' Lanterns

1 Day

This Jack O' Lantern idea is totally original - I'm the first one ever to come up with this idea.... No, not really.
I actually got this idea from a fellow HomeTalker! I liked the way those pumpkins looked, with the tree branch stem and burlap -- so I figured I'd give it a try! We also made Spooky Halloween Ghosts too!
Upon looking today, I actually see several people have done the Jack O' Lantern thing, so it's cool if I post mine too, right? Okay cool. Now let's get down to business and see how it's done :)
We started off with a pile of 4x4 wood, cut different lengths between 5 and 7 inches or so. A couple of sticks, orange and black paint, and some burlap.
We painted the wood blocks orange.
After the orange paint was dry, we painted on the faces. But while the paint was drying I cut the little tree branches. The branches are only about 1 to 2 inches thick. I cut them about 3 inches long and cut them on an angle, so they didn't stick straight up and down when attached.
I cut burlap into 1 inch strips about 12 inches long.
I tied the burlap around the bottom of the wood stems...
Then, finally, the paint was dry (we did 2 coats of orange). So we painted on the Jack O' Lantern faces with black paint. My better half is a great hand model, isn't she? :)
After the face paint is dry, we attached the wood stems to the top of the Jack O' Lanterns with a dab of wood glue and a brad nail - just to hold it in place. You could use a finish nail, too.
Finally, we put them on the front porch for display!
Don't forget, they're not just good for Halloween - flip them around and you can use them as regular old pumpkins for the entire fall season!
Find more details and more projects by clicking the link below to my blog!

• 4x4 Wood  (Scrap / Home Depot)
  • Orange Paint  (Home Depot)
  • Black Paint  (Home Depot)

Andrew @ ScrappyGeek.com

• Georgia Walker

Thank you!!

• Mary Jo Monroe

I have even used discarded children's blocks. not the square ones with imprints but the ones that are different shapes and sizes. they are already smooth and the different shapes add character.