How To Easily Transform Old Floor Vents To Brand New

Are your floor vents old, worn, and rusty? Well, if so, there’s never been an easier way to transform them back to brand new! I’ve been on a mission the past month to repair all the “little things” that drive me mad – like the rusty floor vents that magically appeared one day when I wasn’t looking.
The bathroom vents were hit the hardest because of, obviously, water condensation and traffic. When I lifted it, I was even more shocked. I know I just cleaned under there! We had our vents blown out and cleaned not that long ago. Being a clean freak, this freaked me out!
You know, the one day you decided to really take a good long look at them and you noticed your once brand new floor vents literally look worn and aged. Yep, those. Well, since I like to do things the easy way, I knew I had a brilliant fix for restoring them back to brand new – better than brand new because now, I can choose a color I actually like!
My rusty shower caddy (you must check that out) was the other maddening fix I tackled this month too and super excited it came out perfectly! Give a girl spray paint and watch her rule the world!
Here’s what one of my bathroom floor vents looked like. Nasty – and not at all what it’s supposed to look like.
The backside was worse than the front!
OK, so let’s get to this easy fix! I started by choosing the best spray paint for this particular problem. After asking around, I was told to use this Rust-Oleum 249076 Painter’s Touch Multi-Purpose Spray Paint. I particularly like it because it has paint and primer in one.
I wanted a different color but not too different, and this color worked out perfectly!
I am so pleased with the results, and I know you will be too.
The before and after is astounding. I couldn't be happier with the results!
Please stop on over to my blog to see exactly how I completed this project and lots more pics of the process. I'd love seeing you there!
Be sure to subscribe to my blog too for awesome giveaways, tutorials, restorations and much more. Please click here to subscribe! Subscribe Here!

Sassy Townhouse Living

• KolleenD

Was it messy when you got your vents blown/cleaned out, and was it expensive? If not where abouts are you located? I live in the north east and what I've found for people who do offer it, want a fortune for it.

• Iberkeley

The vent top pull out. I put mine in the DW. You then can paint them. As to the cleaning, it has nothing to do with the vent tops per se. I see duct cleaning services advertised all the time. The price, I assume, depends on the size of your house.

• Retta Robinson

Is this spray paint water-based? Years ago I painted my wall vents to match the walls and they soon developed rust spots, presumably because latex paint is water based.

• Sassy Townhouse Living

I don't think this paint is. I've heard from loads of folks who have used it and have had it for years with no issues. Thanks much for stopping by!

• Terri.shaw

Where can I purchase new ones? I have three that when the flooring people put new floor in the did not match the opening to fit the floor vent covers that were there. I have been unable to find the right size.

• Nancy

Great clean & new looking vents!! I have always had pets so have always used filters that fit in between fins and tops. Keeps things from falling in & less hair etc blowing up into rooms. I have even washed the filters to make them last, and added dryer sheets for fresheners but did not care for white color. Now you have me thinking of a quick shot with matching paint to blend in. hummm.
  • John White

Really a fantastic article. Thanks for sharing these valuable ideas. It helps many a lot. I am also a HVAC service provider so I can understand this.