Upcycled Denim Draught Excluders (door and Window)

Keep your home warm with these fun upcycled jeans draught excluders. The cheesy puns will also make you and your guests smile.
They are really easy to make, cost very little and are effective in keeping out the cold winter draughts.
upcycled denim draught excluders door and window , crafts, doors, repurposing upcycling
All you need is a pair of old jeans, fabric paint and letter stencils. (You can get the stencils here).
Measure the width or your door or window. Cut your jeans leg to the size of the frame allowing a small amount for seams. One leg should be long enough, if however you have very wide doors you can make your excluder in 2 parts.
Your jeans leg will be too fat for your draught excluder. Therefore sew them up thinner. My door excluders were 5 inches wide from the seam and my window excluders 1.5 inches wide from the seam.
Sew up the side and one end. Turn right side out and stencil your pun on the front. Use letter stencils and fabric paint with a dabbing motion.
I used two puns: "Mind the Gap", which is a famous London tube station anouncement & "Draft Dodger" which was suggested by a hometalk reader. If you have anymore suggestions, please leave them in the comments below.
Once the paint is dry fill your draught excluders and sew up the end. The door excluders I filled with fiber fill from an old pillow (or you can buy online).
However the smaller window draught excluders I fill with lentils or rice as this gives them some weight which also help stop the windows rattling and can cope with small amounts of condensation.
I also sew a leather or denim tag to the window excluders so they can be hung up when not in use.
If you liked this denim upcycle then you may like my very popular upcycled jeans iphone pocket pillow click here to see.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Ezzi j

Love the idea but my problem is the are under the lock. The gap is between the door and. The wall.how would I keep it straight

• Kelly

Ezzi j,

Did you say that you only have a draft below the door knob? between the door and the wall (or the jamb/ the trim that holds the door in place? If so , squaring the door up inside the jamb / frame may seal up that draft. Depending on the cause you may be able to put a spacer behind the lower hinge (is the door tight on the lower hinge side? then this will work) to bring it over to the jamb, sealing that gap. Remove the hinge and put a little spacer/ piece of cardboard behind the hinge and reinstall the hinge.

If the gap is due to the frame being off, you may need to use wood and/ or insulation to fill that gap. Hope that helps.