Upcycled Denim Draught Excluders (door and Window)

Keep your home warm with these fun upcycled jeans draught excluders. The cheesy puns will also make you and your guests smile.
They are really easy to make, cost very little and are effective in keeping out the cold winter draughts.
upcycled denim draught excluders door and window , crafts, doors, repurposing upcycling
All you need is a pair of old jeans, fabric paint and letter stencils. (You can get the stencils here).
Measure the width or your door or window. Cut your jeans leg to the size of the frame allowing a small amount for seams. One leg should be long enough, if however you have very wide doors you can make your excluder in 2 parts.
Your jeans leg will be too fat for your draught excluder. Therefore sew them up thinner. My door excluders were 5 inches wide from the seam and my window excluders 1.5 inches wide from the seam.
Sew up the side and one end. Turn right side out and stencil your pun on the front. Use letter stencils and fabric paint with a dabbing motion.
I used two puns: "Mind the Gap", which is a famous London tube station anouncement & "Draft Dodger" which was suggested by a hometalk reader. If you have anymore suggestions, please leave them in the comments below.
Once the paint is dry fill your draught excluders and sew up the end. The door excluders I filled with fiber fill from an old pillow (or you can buy online).
However the smaller window draught excluders I fill with lentils or rice as this gives them some weight which also help stop the windows rattling and can cope with small amounts of condensation.
I also sew a leather or denim tag to the window excluders so they can be hung up when not in use.
If you liked this denim upcycle then you may like my very popular upcycled jeans iphone pocket pillow click here to see.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Ezzi j

Love the idea but my problem is the are under the lock. The gap is between the door and. The wall.how would I keep it straight

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

Sorry I'm not sure, maybe you can hang something from the lock so it hangs down over the gap.

• Lori Fitzgibbon

I know this was a while ago but I just saw this looking for a way to make these for my sister's house. Love the idea bit I'm going to use the styro beads for the floor and window ones and for the one next to the door and wall it will have to be full and tight so when we hang it it doesn't settle in the bottom.

I think the best option is to sew in some thinsulate (available at craft stores). It's used in hot pads to keep the heat away from hands so I figure it will help with this and I can see it with the fabric. Them stuff it with fiberfill and add something to the bottom to keep it secure.

• Lori Fitzgibbon

Sorry I forgot to say, hang it over the door hinge at the top of the door. That way it's moveable if needed.

• Linda Premo

Hi Ezzi,

You can adhere weatherstripping to the inside of your door jamb to help insulate your home. Also you can make extra long and wider fabric tubes, after filling them with fiberfill and adding a loop to one end, place hooks above your door frame on the top left and right corners. Then you can hang these draft blockers. You can remove them during the daytime or just push them aside when you open the door.

You can also make a square air blocker to hang over your door knob or dead bolt if you have any gaps where cold air can enter your home.

• Kelly

Ezzi j,

Did you say that you only have a draft below the door knob? between the door and the wall (or the jamb/ the trim that holds the door in place? If so , squaring the door up inside the jamb / frame may seal up that draft. Depending on the cause you may be able to put a spacer behind the lower hinge (is the door tight on the lower hinge side? then this will work) to bring it over to the jamb, sealing that gap. Remove the hinge and put a little spacer/ piece of cardboard behind the hinge and reinstall the hinge.

If the gap is due to the frame being off, you may need to use wood and/ or insulation to fill that gap. Hope that helps.