Teresa Seeger-Gesser
Teresa Seeger-Gesser
  • Crawfordville, FL

Country French Dresser

While shopping at a local thrift store, I found this adorable Dresser wedged in a corner and bought it. Ugh, found the very hard to notice damage at home.
Country French Dresser
This Dresser was in need of repair. It looked as if it may have been in storage and suffered water damage.
Thrift Store find .
I removed drawers, no need to clean exterior as it was to be sanded.
Sanding with orbital sander
Inside the Dresser ancient bug sacs were found and removed by scraping and throughly vacuumed.
Dresser was cleaned
Homemade chalk paint was made ( plaster of Paris, water, paint of choice )
Bad damage being repaired.
Wood filler was used to build up side panel of Dresser and sanded. This process was repeated several times.
Painted in a soft French Grey
A stencil was downloaded, and the projector transfer method was used. First penciled, then paint pen.
Chose Stencil
Dark wax was applied after lightly distressing.
Dark wax
Finished !
Side note - now being used as side table
Finished side
Sides turned out great!
The sides are very smooth - you would never know there was damage. The pics are shadowy - sorry 😀

• Homemade chalk paint, sander, stencil, paint pen

• Deanna Perata

What does this mean?? A stencil was downloaded, and the projector transfer method was used. Where did you download it from? and what is a projector transfer method?

• Gail Tilson

Does the chalk paint dry smooth to the touch when using the plaster of Paris? I have an old bedroom set I want to do in this style. Thanks

• Andra Collier

I have a blender I only use for chalk paint. I have made the chalk paint with plaster of Paris. It was fine but experimenting with different amounts of ingredients is best to get results you want. I think I want to add baking soda to my next paint for what I hope to have more depth to the paint.

• Fiona Beer

What paint pens did you use as I want to ty them for graphics over chalk paint

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

Thanks 😀

• Nancy Spencer Carlson

I want to say "BAD!! Painting an old antique dresser like that?!" But it's beautiful. And it IS yours. I figure that furniture is like china - if you don't use it, what good is it. Make it work in your own setting. If someone else wants to strip it years down the road, you won't be within earshot of their complaining! lol! Nice job.

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

I couldn't agree with you more! I would not have touched it had it been in good condition. However, the side of the Dresser had quite a bit of damage that had to be "fixed," leaving me no choice but to paint it. Thank you Nancy for stopping by, ❤️