White Rubbermaid Chairs, Set of Four Painted & Given a Custom Look

We have all had a set of White Plastic Rubbermaid Chairs, which eventually start to become an eyesore with age. They turn grey, and lose their sheen and become impossible to clean. The easy thing to do would be to throw them away, but we cannot continue to fill our landfills with so much consumer waste. So I decided to recondition my set this year. I started out by painting the chairs with Rust-oleum universal all surface spray paint in Hammered Copper. I thought the Hammered finish would cover any imperfections in the old surface which it did. They look amazing. I then pulled out the painters tape and started to add character to each of the chairs, which is where the fun part really begins and the limits are endless. Anyone can spray a chair with a base coat, but what will you do with your chairs after the base coat. See my blog to see how I finished mine. http://www.cheriesforgetmenots.com/2013/04/new-life-for-old-white-chairs.html
These are 3 of the painted chairs I ran out of paint and had to finish the fourth chair later.
These chairs started out really ugly. I washed them, not that it looks like it. and then cleaned them with vinegar to cut any grease to help the paint adhere to the surface.
Each chair has its own little
friendly visitor, visit my blog to see who they are. I really had fun with this project. Sitting in the sun and painting the day away, and all the ugly too.
Each chair has its own little friendly visitor, visit my blog to see who they are. I really had fun with this project. Sitting in the sun and painting the day away, and all the ugly too.

Cherie Little Chalmers

• Cch10953177

What type of paint is used ?

• Jewellmartin

I can hardly believe these started out as the white plastic chairs. They look like real metal. After four years or more, @CherieLittleChalmers, I wonder if you will redo these again, or if they will finally hit the landfill. Either way, you've done a beautiful job. Best wishes 😇
  • Tammy

What is the color other paint?

• Yolanda Maria Saenz

How many cans of paint did you use of the basic color per chair?

• Karen Strayer

what a wonderful design! Love it! It really gives me ideas on how to redo mine. Thanks

• Merelyn sale

What paint did you use to get that copper look? I was getting ready to paint mine, but love that copper look. Beautiful Thank you.