Farmhouse Hutch Chalk Paint Makeover

Hey there, friends! I finally finished my Master’s degree (yay!) and now I can get on some of the projects that have been sitting on the back burner for way too long.
I knew exactly which project piece I wanted to start with! It was time for a farmhouse hutch makeover!
This is how the hutch looked before. It was built in the 1930’s and it is a solid, well put together piece. It has a lot of detail on the doors which I really like, but what really attracted me to it is the open shelves, which I think work better for displaying mixed decor.
The hutch had some water damage on the top, so I sanded it out with a hand sander. It is veneer, so I was careful not to sand too much so as not to sand it all the way through it.
After I was done sanding, I took all the hardware off and removed the drawers and doors. I always put all my hardware in a lidded jar so none of it disappears, which tends to happen a lot because we have cats.
The paint goes on smoothly and covers well. I left the first coat dry overnight and then applied a second coat, which again I allowed it to dry overnight.
The next morning I was ready to apply the glaze.Glaze tends to try quickly, so I worked in small sections by applying the glaze and wiping off the excess with a damp cloth. I allowed the glaze to dry overnight.
The next day I lightly distressed the hutch using 150 grit sandpaper. I then applied the Natural Wax with a wax brush and buffed it out with a dry lint-free cloth, then allowed the wax to dry overnight.
Painting this hutch was a lot of work, but it was well worth the time and effort!
I had a lot of fun decorating it will all my flea market finds. :)
For more step-by-step pictures of the projcect as well as the finished result, please click on the link below to my blog!
I hope you enjoyed this makeover tutorial! :)
Michelle @ The Painted Hinge
www.thepaintedhinge.com

• 2 pints of Country Chic All-in-One Decor paint in Simplicity  (countrychicpaint.com)
  • 1 pint of Country Chic Furniture Glaze in Graphite  (countrychicpaint.com)
  • 8 oz of Country Chic Natural Wax  (countrychicpaint.com)

The Painted Hinge

• Joyce Duckenfield

What is the name of the chalk paint that you used?

• Linda Jowers

I have a similar hutch that a friend gave me in a nice maple finish. It is in my laundry room & flanked on 1 wall with white 'bead board' floor to ceiling cabinets & on the other wall with a white washer dryer & the same white cabinets over them. Last year my daughter painted the walls a spring green. Before changing the wall color I wanted to paint the hutch, but now I am afraid to go with another painted finish instead of the contrast of the 3 finishes now. Anyone have similar reservations on painted over wood finish?
  • Becky Mccrory

Did you have to strip any before the first coat of paint?