Farmhouse Hutch Chalk Paint Makeover

Hey there, friends! I finally finished my Master’s degree (yay!) and now I can get on some of the projects that have been sitting on the back burner for way too long.
I knew exactly which project piece I wanted to start with! It was time for a farmhouse hutch makeover!
This is how the hutch looked before. It was built in the 1930’s and it is a solid, well put together piece. It has a lot of detail on the doors which I really like, but what really attracted me to it is the open shelves, which I think work better for displaying mixed decor.
The hutch had some water damage on the top, so I sanded it out with a hand sander. It is veneer, so I was careful not to sand too much so as not to sand it all the way through it.
After I was done sanding, I took all the hardware off and removed the drawers and doors. I always put all my hardware in a lidded jar so none of it disappears, which tends to happen a lot because we have cats.
The paint goes on smoothly and covers well. I left the first coat dry overnight and then applied a second coat, which again I allowed it to dry overnight.
The next morning I was ready to apply the glaze.Glaze tends to try quickly, so I worked in small sections by applying the glaze and wiping off the excess with a damp cloth. I allowed the glaze to dry overnight.
The next day I lightly distressed the hutch using 150 grit sandpaper. I then applied the Natural Wax with a wax brush and buffed it out with a dry lint-free cloth, then allowed the wax to dry overnight.
Painting this hutch was a lot of work, but it was well worth the time and effort!
I had a lot of fun decorating it will all my flea market finds. :)
For more step-by-step pictures of the projcect as well as the finished result, please click on the link below to my blog!
I hope you enjoyed this makeover tutorial! :)
Michelle @ The Painted Hinge
www.thepaintedhinge.com

• 2 pints of Country Chic All-in-One Decor paint in Simplicity  (countrychicpaint.com)
  • 1 pint of Country Chic Furniture Glaze in Graphite  (countrychicpaint.com)
  • 8 oz of Country Chic Natural Wax  (countrychicpaint.com)

Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
The Painted Hinge

• Joyce Duckenfield

What is the name of the chalk paint that you used?

• Linda Jowers

I have a similar hutch that a friend gave me in a nice maple finish. It is in my laundry room & flanked on 1 wall with white 'bead board' floor to ceiling cabinets & on the other wall with a white washer dryer & the same white cabinets over them. Last year my daughter painted the walls a spring green. Before changing the wall color I wanted to paint the hutch, but now I am afraid to go with another painted finish instead of the contrast of the 3 finishes now. Anyone have similar reservations on painted over wood finish?
    • Donna J Southwick

I think the way you’ve described it it sounds lovely! The spring green wall with the beautiful white bead board and white appliances sounds fresh and bright and beautiful. I would not hesitate at all to paint that cabinet either a coordinating color of green, or just go with a white, maybe something distressed with a little bit of the green. You could also paint the cabinet white, lightly distressed it and wax it, and then on the inside back wall of the hutch do something in a fabric or a adhesive vinyl paper, or even regular paper for that matter, the coordinates with the spring green. I hope you post a picture of whatever you do!

• Becky Mccrory

Did you have to strip any before the first coat of paint?

• Becky Mccrory

Yes

• Margaret Knowles

I have a similar hutch I've been considering painting. After seeing yours, I just might. Only problem is I don't know if I want a white or a color to brighten things up.

You did a great job, beautiful!