Farmhouse Hutch Chalk Paint Makeover

Hey there, friends! I finally finished my Master’s degree (yay!) and now I can get on some of the projects that have been sitting on the back burner for way too long.
farmhouse hutch chalk paint makeover, chalk paint, how to, painted furniture
I knew exactly which project piece I wanted to start with! It was time for a farmhouse hutch makeover!
This is how the hutch looked before. It was built in the 1930’s and it is a solid, well put together piece. It has a lot of detail on the doors which I really like, but what really attracted me to it is the open shelves, which I think work better for displaying mixed decor.
The hutch had some water damage on the top, so I sanded it out with a hand sander. It is veneer, so I was careful not to sand too much so as not to sand it all the way through it.
After I was done sanding, I took all the hardware off and removed the drawers and doors. I always put all my hardware in a lidded jar so none of it disappears, which tends to happen a lot because we have cats.
The paint goes on smoothly and covers well. I left the first coat dry overnight and then applied a second coat, which again I allowed it to dry overnight.
The next morning I was ready to apply the glaze.Glaze tends to try quickly, so I worked in small sections by applying the glaze and wiping off the excess with a damp cloth. I allowed the glaze to dry overnight.
The next day I lightly distressed the hutch using 150 grit sandpaper. I then applied the Natural Wax with a wax brush and buffed it out with a dry lint-free cloth, then allowed the wax to dry overnight.
Painting this hutch was a lot of work, but it was well worth the time and effort!
I had a lot of fun decorating it will all my flea market finds. :)
For more step-by-step pictures of the projcect as well as the finished result, please click on the link below to my blog!
I hope you enjoyed this makeover tutorial! :)
Michelle @ The Painted Hinge
www.thepaintedhinge.com

• 2 pints of Country Chic All-in-One Decor paint in Simplicity  (countrychicpaint.com)
  • 1 pint of Country Chic Furniture Glaze in Graphite  (countrychicpaint.com)
  • 8 oz of Country Chic Natural Wax  (countrychicpaint.com)
The Painted Hinge

• 10j2802750

I would love to replicate this process on my own hutch - beautiful job! I am new to this - could you tell me the purpose of the glaze step?

• Hotscotgal

The glaze "ages" the appearance and highlights the details like the fans on the door fronts and the carving on the acorns.

• 10j2802750

Thank you!

• Debbie motley

I have this exact hutch that was my mother-in -laws. I have been wanting to do something with it since I discovered chalk paint. You have given me the green light. Thanks for sharing. I also have that churn sitting on your hutch. It was my husband's grandmothers.

• Jina

It looks fabulous!

• The Painted Hinge

As the previous posters said, the glaze gives it the antique look and helps seal the paint. :)

• Janet Biensash

I have a built in dresser that I would love to use chalk paint or something to brighten it up. do you have to sand the whole dresser? What would be the easiest way ? It is very plain. Thank you ! Love Love your Hutch that would look great on my dresser!!

• Renee

There are tons of YouTube videos on this. I can't answer because I start with raw material. I thought I would try to help.

• The Painted Hinge

Hi Janet! As long as you are using chalk paint you do not have to sand the whole dresser. That's the beauty of chalk paint! :)

• Jo

Just yesterday I was at Menards buying more chalk paint and you do NOT have to do any prep work other than make sure the is clean. The can tells you this! I love using chalk paint...it's so easy and so forgiving!

• Moma Walker

Beautiful hutch and beautiful work. I'm painting a hutch but I have a question about chalk paint if you don't mind. After it dries is it a dry feeling paint, and does it come off on your hands like real chalk does? I'm thinking about buying some to finish my hutch but I want it to be shiny not dull. I'm old school about a lot of things. And the cabinets in my kitchen are painted with semi gloss or gloss white paint. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful hutch with us. And thank anyone that can help me with my questions.

• The Painted Hinge

Hi Moma! Chalk paint does feel dry once it dries, and it does not come off on your hands when touched. It does have a "chalky" feel to it (like a stick of chalk) but it does not come off on your hands. Chalk paint should always be sealed with a sealing wax or glaze (or both). This reduces the chalky feel of the paint, seals and protects the paint finish, and adds shine. Normally 1-2 coats of wax will give your finished project a satin finish. I've never put on more than 2 coats of wax on anything, so I can't tell you if more wax coats = a shinier finish. I hope this helps! :)

• Judie Starrett

I reside in the mountains of Panama, they have no idea what chalk paint is. Could I use homemade chalk paint and get somewhat the same result?

• The Painted Hinge

Hi Judie! Yes, I think you could get similar results with homemade chalk paint. But if you don't want to go that route, you could always order some of the Country Chic paint website (assuming you can get shipments from Canada where you live).

• Judie Starrett

Thank you Michelle, Beautiful country but being a crafter proves very difficult at times. Will check out Country Chic web site. Not sure about customs and paint. Will try and thanks again. Judie

• Kla12833168

I have used Plaster of Paris added to regular paint to create the same result as chalk paint on several pieces.

• Judie Starrett

Hi Klamath, Thanks for the tip. May I ask if you used latex or flat. Thanks Michelle, but the shipping would be costly.

• Kla12833168

Judie, I used sample paints. I'm sure it wasn't flat. Once it's mixed with the plaster of paris it will be pretty flat looking when it dries.

• Linda Jowers

You can search for information on making your own chalk paint on the Internet & Pinterest. There is a lot of information out there. I want to try it on something small to begin with before using a homemade formula on a large piece. I have used premixed already. Good luck!

• Joyce Duckenfield

What is the name of the chalk paint that you used?

• Linda Jowers

I have a similar hutch that a friend gave me in a nice maple finish. It is in my laundry room & flanked on 1 wall with white 'bead board' floor to ceiling cabinets & on the other wall with a white washer dryer & the same white cabinets over them. Last year my daughter painted the walls a spring green. Before changing the wall color I wanted to paint the hutch, but now I am afraid to go with another painted finish instead of the contrast of the 3 finishes now. Anyone have similar reservations on painted over wood finish?

• Becky Mccrory

Did you have to strip any before the first coat of paint?