DIY Pumpkin Spice Air Fresheners

These DIY pumpkin spice air fresheners not only smell amazing, but they also double as beautiful fall home decor! You can learn how to make your own with a few simple tools and supplies that can be reused again and again for future DIY projects.
You'll need a self hardening clay for these DIY pumpkin spice air fresheners and a silicone mold. I used a seasonal Wilton silicone mold that can be found in most craft stores. For full list of materials and links to everything you need on Amazon, be sure to visit the original DIY at Soap Deli News blog here.
To create your DIY Pumpkin Spice Air Fresheners, begin by kneading the clay in your hands until soft. Then press the clay into the cavities of your mold. Fill halfway for thicker shapes or 1/4th of the way for thinner shapes. If your clay is too hard, add a small amount of water to the clay then knead again.
Allow your pumpkin and leaf shapes to harden in the mold until they are leather like, but not fully dry. Gently remove each of the shapes for your air fresheners from the cavities of the mold.
Clean up the edges and top of the pumpkin and leaf shapes using your modeling tools. Repeat for all of your shapes until you’ve reached your desired look.
Use your needle tool to cut a hole into each of the pumpkin and leaf shapes you’ve made. This will allow you to hang them. Now allow your shapes to dry until fully hardened and the clay turns a grayish-white.
Now use your watercolors to paint your pumpkin and leaf shapes in fall colors on the tops and sides, but not the bottom. Allow the paint to dry.Now use your watercolors to paint your pumpkin and leaf shapes in fall colors on the tops and sides, but not the bottom. Allow the paint to dry.
Now take your pumpkins and leaves outside and place on newspaper or cardboard. Spray each of the shapes evenly on the tops and sides with your clear acrylic sealer. Don’t spray the bottoms.
Now use a wide paint brush to paint the fragrance oil onto the back of each of the air fresheners. (You can also use a blend of natural clove, cinnamon and ginger essential oils in lieu of the fragrance oil.) Allow to dry then repeat as desired until you reach desired strength or the air fresheners will no longer hold anymore fragrance. Now hang anywhere in your home or in your car and enjoy!
For a collection of my fall pumpkin bath and body recipes, including recipes for making pumpkin soaps, pumpkin bath bombs, apple & pumpkin spice lotion, a natural vanilla & pumpkin spice salt scrub and more, visit Soap Deli News blog here.

• White Activa Plus Natural Self Hardening Clay
  • Seasonal Wilton Silicone Mold
  • 8-Piece Pottery Tool Kit

Rebecca D. Dillon

• Linda Hunt

Hello, First I would like to say you have created a really lovely way to add nice scent to the home. Would you have the time to tell me how much of cinnamon, cloves and ginger oils to use for this? I am a spicy scent kind of woman, lol. I do appreciate your time if you have it and if not thanks for sharing such a nice idea with us. Regards, Linda

• Rebecca D. Dillon

As much as you want. Once it dries you can apply more until you've reached the strength of fragrance you like.

• Sha819063

Could acrylic paint be used

• Renee Lennon

Can you blend the oils into the clay while kneading the clay? Or would it cause the paint to peel?

• Nina Monroe Candler

This is wonderful! My husband has COPD and is on oxygen. So we have no candles or aerosols in the house. I hate the melting wax because of the mess when changing scents. But this idea branches out into a whole new area. Way beyond my lamp rings! Thank you so much for sharing.

• Nina Monroe Candler

Thanks for the tip! I will have to try this. I was using some soy based ones and they just disappear but I have problems finding those. Got my last ones at a craft fair.

• Patty

Great idea