Asked on Sep 25, 2016

What to do about closet doors that collide with bedroom doors?

Jean SilvasyJannie SDeb K
+16

My closet is small with two doors that open from the middle, but anytime left open and the bedroom door opens in slams into the closet door.
q what to do about closet doors who collide with bedroom door, bedroom ideas, closet, doors
  • Pauline

Can you use a sliding barn door? Can't see the other wall in this picture. If the wall is long enough it could work. Good luck.

• Cass

bi-fold closet door, too, or change direction one door opens (lots of work).

• Ljgordon

My wife will harange me if I leave doors open. Close them.

• Lori Patterson

You could install sliding closet doors, sold at HD, can be mirrored also which is nice for a bedroom.

• Jennyshearer

I agree with the above reply, use bifolds

• Pat

We had bi-fold doors on our laundry room and if they were folded open, the basement door hit them.....always had to reach out and close them. Bi-folds may give you the same problem....I would suggest sliding doors.

• Beth

We use to have that problem but we just removed the closet doors and replaced it with curtains using a tension rod

• Kathy Hamm

I had that problem with a linen closet and my bathroom door. I put a cup hook on the linen closet door, and another inside the linen closet. Add a rubber band (or a loop of elastic) and your closet door will automatically close. Worked like a charm for me.

• Beth

We had the same problem. We installed a slider door inside the wall frame.

• Jackie Byrd

Great question Whitney. I just purchased a house where the hall door into the bedroom swings back into the closet door. Here there is only 1 closet door not 2 like yours. A barn door is a possibility but you have to have the room on the closet wall for the slide, plus the hardware for them is kind of expensive. I don't like the curtain & rod option. The problem isn't having to close the closet door, it that you always have to close the hall door before you can open the closet door then you have to reverse the operation - all the time. A pocket door to me would be the best solution but probably the most expensive.

• Marj

Possibility, a single, large bi-fold door for the closet that would go from the far side to the near side, so if open it would be on the opposite side from the hall door and not next to it. I have no idea of the cost though.

• Snapoutofit

You need a flush bolt installed above one of the doors. French doors have whats called an astragal (the strip on the passive door that overlaps the swing door) that unifies the two doors when closed. In addition the passive side will have a flush bolt top and bottom that drives a tab into the header and threshold. Go to Home Depot or Lowes, ask for help.

• Msc12149616

I used a door stopper, instead of installing it on the floor, I installed in on the wall, so the door hits the door stopper not the closet door :)

• Deanna Nassar

Sliding doors also come in soft material that uses a track attached to ceiling.

• Deb K

Change the closet door to a barn slider or bi fold
  • Jannie S

I have the same problem except the closet doors are already sliding doors but the bedrm door swings into the way of the closet. Can't install barn or pocket door, can't reverse door to right side of bdrm due to light switch on right of door, can't open into hall, not enough room safety wise. Help!

• Jean Silvasy

Although they aren't as cheap as curtains, you might try accordion doors from one of the big box stores. Many of the newer ones are very attractive.