Need some advice: Cold Weather Composting

+12
I live in NY & just bought a compost tumbler this spring. I was wondering if I can continue to add to the bin in the winter or should I just bag what I have. I believe heat is an important component to compost so I am not sure.
  • Mel8930775 Mel8930775 on Sep 26, 2016
    Yes. Combusting can be done year round. Turn the tumbler every time you add compost items to it. Don't put meat, food items, grease, or animal waste in the composter. Crush your egg shells and don't forget coffee grounds and tea bags are great for the compost bin.
    • Hilary Hilary on Sep 26, 2016
      Thanks for your quick response. I'm new to composting. I've been adding the items you mentioned but were short on leaves in the summer. Now I'll have way more than I could need, use or want!
  • Regina Earl Arlauckas Regina Earl Arlauckas on Sep 26, 2016
    I use my tumbler all winter. When I rake up leaves in the fall, I fill a covered trash can with dry leaves and put a handful in each time I add my compost items, give it a few tumbles. In the spring i have nice compost to start the season.
  • Sophia,M.,McConnery Sophia,M.,McConnery on Sep 26, 2016
    Compost throws off large amounts of heat.When I was a child my dad only had a hole in the corner of the garden for compost.Night time temps here back then were -40.Never froze.
  • Mel8930775 Mel8930775 on Sep 26, 2016
    To help compost leaves a little quicker, after raking your leaves into a pile, run your rotary mower over your pile. A pile pile will result in a much smaller and they break down in your composter a little quicker.
    • Hilary Hilary on Sep 27, 2016
      Thank you. I did plan on doing this with my mower. I will also get a blend of leaves & grass clippings in the bag.
  • Shawna Bailey Shawna Bailey on Dec 02, 2016
    Yes, the composting actually produces a little heat. I was grossed out the first time I realized.
  • Sherrie Slaboda Sherrie Slaboda on Jan 27, 2017
    Shredded paper is excellent for the compost. I learned that you must mix both green (food waste and fresh grass clipping) and brown (dry materials like dry grass, straw, sawdust, tissue paper, black & white newspaper). 50% should be green and 50% brown. Some recommend 75% green and 25% brown - either way you will be able to get healthy compost.
  • Lumnah Acres Lumnah Acres on Jan 30, 2017
    Yes you can compost all year round. It might slow down a bit in the cold temps. But once it starts to warm BACK UP watch out! You will be ready for the garden when spring comes........ DREAMING of home grown tomatoes YUM......
  • Angela Ley Angela Ley on Apr 21, 2017
    I keep my veggie scraps, peels etc in a container in my freezer. When it gets full I make vegetable stock. Just another thought for those scraps.