Carole
Carole
  • Australia

Another Rocker Glider Done!

This is my third rocker/glider makeover. This one has sat in the garage waiting its turn for a makeover nearly 8 months! Finally got around to it this last couple of weeks. Painted in semi gloss water based paint and the fabric was left over from a previous rocker/glider makeover, so you may have seen this look posted on here prior. The previous one had the gliding footstool with it, but this one has no footstool - just the chair. I normally don't like to repeat the same look, but I needed to use up the fabric. Too good to waste! Any dark patches on the chair are shadows - sorry the light was not good when I took these photos! The chair was originally orange pine with a rough, ugly blue fabric which was very grubby when I came into possession of it!
Front view
Front view
and from the back
and from the back

• Anita K

Great combo! I'm thinking of converting my glider for use in my sitting room. It's a small room, where I read and write, that I've recently "beautified". What do you think?

• Carole

@Anita K Hi Anita. Go for it. I have seen these chairs used in this way and if you pick the right fabric for your decor, they can fit right in. They are very comfy as I am sure you are already aware and cheaper than buying a recliner armchair! Why should they only be used in the nursery? If you are going to paint, I would recommend that if you cannot separate the gliding base from the seat, that you use a spray gun to paint it with. Too fiddly to reach all the glider base bits otherwise. I hand painted mine and it was a nightmare to reach everything under the seat with the paint brush. The cushions come off easily and are so easy to recover. If you use the old covers as a template, just make sure you cut your pieces a little larger to allow some wriggle room as some fabrics are stretched and trimmed after sewing down to the last millimetre so you need to cut a bit large or you may find it a struggle to get your cushions in once you have sewn the edges up. Have fun and would love to see the end result!

• Anita K

Thanks, Carole! Love your look, which inspired me to consider my own glider. :)