Old World Style Fall Kitchen Canisters

I'm thrilled to have had the opportunity to participate in the latest Blogger Challenge! For our fall challenge, we used glass apothecary jars and crafted or styled them any way we chose to reflect the fall theme. I went straight for the paint - and something a little unexpected - to create these textured old world style canisters, that I absolutely love!

Four times per year I get to jump in with a few talented bloggers to participate in a DIY challenge. This is the highlight of each season for me, and not only do I love to participate, but I also am blown away with each challenge by how creative these ladies can be.

This season's challenge featured glass apothecary jars.

I knew right away what I wanted to make with my jars. I love Tuscan style, and saw this as the opportunity to add something new.

I started by giving the jars a coat of primer, and once it was dry, added a smooth layer of spackling compound.

Next, I created some texture by dabbing the knife over the damp compound. This really gives the jars an old world appearance - exactly what I was going for.

Once the compound was dry, I gently wiped off the peaks, then applied a coat of paint in rich fall colors. I kept it cost-effective by buying a sample canister of the three colors I chose from my very favorite paint: Home Depot's Behr Premium Plus.

Finally, I added a 4" polystone fleur-de-lis to each jar to add a tuscan touch, and they were done!

I absolutely love how they turned out, and now I have a little more tuscan decor to add to my collection.

NOTE: The jars for this project were provided to me, free of charge, from Jar store. See the original post for details and for links to the other fabulous projects in our challenge.

• Glass Apothecary Jars  (Jar Store)
  • Zinsser Primer  (Wal-Mart)
  • Dry Dex Spacking Compound  (Wal-Mart)

To Work With My Hands

• Wanda Willis

Gray, murky dreary day today. How long does it take to dry?
    • To Work With My Hands

You can spot clean with a damp cloth and the insides are washable. I wouldn't recommend immersing them, however.
  • Wanda Willis

How about Glueing felt on the bottoms
    • Nancy

I too love the tuscan style i over all one day will make my whole kitchen into that style my sister knew how thats been my dream (Tuscan theme) for many years now and has bought me pictures, canisters ect. And will buy my wine to add to all this ty u for sharing ur creativity with us live fleur de lis anyways being a saints fan living in louisiana great choice u made for the Tuscan style beautiful.....😍

• Karen Goldman

Is there any instance in which the "finish" would peel off the glass? Glass is such an nonporous surface that I wonder about chips etc. Thank you, it's a very clever project, one I intend to pursue!
    • Jo Ann Spofford

I second Linda's idea of using a sealer. Perhaps a clear gloss spray sealer. I am a big advocate of sealers. I would use them as storage containers and Linda said make certain that you watch the inside for cleanliness. I periodically empty my flour, sugar, etc bins and give them a good cleaning.