Plastic Hanging Basket Makeover Anyone Can Do!

If you're a gardener then you have one of these generic plastic hanging baskets that flowers come in. They serve their purpose but I wanted to spruce them up for fall. At first I thought of spray painting them but I wanted to do something a little different, then a light bulb went off in my head and as they say the rest is history!!
I went searching for pieces of material I knew I had left over from other projects and came across my burlap. perfect for what I wanted to do. Any material would work but this ties in with my outdoor décor.
I gathered my supplies, burlap, a couple of thick elastics and the ugly planter! Yes there is ribbon in the picture but I opted not to use it.
I removed the hanging clips and turned the planter upside down and placed the burlap over top.
Slide your elastic around the planter, turn it back over and cut the excess off. pretty simple huh?
As I mentioned I opted out using the ribbon, instead I took a few leaves off of some fall garland I had and cut a few flowers from a fall bush. I then used my glue gun and glued them on where I wanted them.
Planted my mums and reattached the hanger. I love how they turned out!

• Piece of burlap  (left over from previous project)
  • Plastic hanging baskets
  • Elastics

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
30 Amazing Ways To Organize Your Shoes
17 Benches You Can Build This Summer
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
The Best Nautical Home Decor Ideas To Try Right Now

• Carolyn Henri

any problems with watering? Does it make a mess of the burlap?

• Melanie

Hi Carolyn, there is no problems with watering and it doesn't make a mess. The burlap dries very quickly and does not stain.

• Jani Blanchard Walls

So cute. What are your little lamps made from?

• Tana

Could the base of the solar lights be switched out for a grow-light glass base for indoor use?
  • Peggy

Very nice! How weatherproof are the burlap and decorations?

• Melanie

Hi Janice, it's just burlap from a fabric store or you can use the burlap for wrapping shrubs for winter.

• Ardale

Wow your creative! Love both the hanging baskets and your cute hanging solar lights! Best thing about your baskets are that you can use them for any season with any flowers, not just for fall. Just love your idea and plan to make some of my own! Thanks for sharing!

• Deb Jordan

Definitely trying this