Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com
Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com
  • Kendallville, IN

My First Sale

I bought this gem for $7.50. I thought it may be too good to be true! The top was terrible and it was hideous, but I thought I could pretty it up!
I painted the entire thing with Annie Sloan's Old White. Then I went to bed. I hated it. And like magic, a friend posted a picture on FB and tagged me in it. It was a similar dresser with a stained top and Oil Rubbed Bronze handles. The next day, I stripped the top and painted the handles. I also dark waxed it.
I work as a consignor in a local antique shop. I dropped her off and 20 minutes later, she sold! Talk about luck!
Completed!
Completed!
Front view
Front view
Side view.  Look at that spot!  It gave me lots of trouble, but I fixed the bleed through with spray Shellac and then painting over that.
Side view. Look at that spot! It gave me lots of trouble, but I fixed the bleed through with spray Shellac and then painting over that.
Front view, painted in Old White (including the handles)
Up close of drawer fronts
Up close of drawer fronts
I painted the inside of the drawers Duck Egg Blue.
Front view, dark waxed.  I ended up taking off the hardware and spraying them with Oil Rubbed Bronze.
Front view, dark waxed. I ended up taking off the hardware and spraying them with Oil Rubbed Bronze.
I also stripped the top (after painting it) and stained it with Minwax's Dark Walnut.
Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

• Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

Actually, when I painted It, I crisscrossed my brushstrokes. Then in order to get that antique look, I dark waxed it and then rub that dark wax off.

• Mimi Palmer

so, dark wax is that just a dark stain that you brushed on and wiped off? Im new to this and I am trying to figure out what to buy. I love that antiqued like look

• Rachel @I'llJustPaintIt.com

@Mimi Palmer I started off by watching Annie Sloan on YouTube. I buy from a local Stockist (seller of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint - ASCP). She sells brushes, paints, waxes and more! Google Annie Sloan. I think that will help you get started! The wax isn't a stain. It's consistency is more like butter, then you wipe it off and buff. I get more of that antiqued look with my brush strokes. I learned it from her videos. Good luck!