How to Clean a Backpack

The kids are back in school and if their using a backpack from last year, consider washing it. Backpacks can harbor, dirt, old lunch smells, bacteria and more. Washing your backpack can help make it last longer.
First, check for a tag with washing instructions and follow those as recommended. If the backpack has leather, suede or many structured pieces, do not wash it in a washing machine. You will need to hand wash these types of backpacks with cool soapy water (on the water friendly parts only).
Empty the backpack's contents.
For water friendly backpacks, turn them inside out and wash them on a gentle cold cycle. Turning the backpack inside out will help protect the straps.
Hang the backpack to dry. Do not dry the backpack in the dryer as this may cause damage such as burned fabric and shrinking.
Check out the blog post for other back to cleaning tips.
Empty the backpack's contents and vacuum out if desired. A good shaking would work too.
Wipe down the inside and outside of non washer friendly backpacks with a cool soapy water. Wipe down again with plain water to rinse.

Angela

• Cindy

I've cleaned a few back packs myself and along with turning them inside out, I find that bringing them to the Laundromat and using the front loading machines, they come out pretty clean as well as well rung out. I learned my lesson when I tried to wash one in the machine and the strap got mangled on the agitator. Made me pretty agitated!

• Rain

For water friendly backpacks ,please vist: www.omgnb.com/backpacks