Wicker Rocker, Part II
I wanted to share another thrift store vintage wicker treasure that I found and another solution for a challenge to cover up its damaged areas. The frame was sturdy and the shape charming, but the condition of the wicker was less charming!
This rocker was hard to pass up at $5 from a Goodwill. I washed it down and let it dry. The paint wasn't too flaky, so that's all it needed.
I used about a quart out of a gallon can of good quality exterior latex paint that I got for only $8 at our local Habitat ReStore. That's a great place to find paint very inexpensively for projects like this. I'd usually pay about $30 for a similar can at Lowe's. I brushed it on, which is a little more work than spraying, but it still wasn't too tedious. I gave it 2 coats.
To cover the damaged back I used some scrap floral stripe fabric that I'd saved from another project. I sewed a piece of a vintage pillowcase edge onto the bottom. I wrapped the top edge of the fabric over the chair, applied a heavy bead of E-6000 under the top back lip, and clamped it with plastic spring clamps in several places. It helps to put plastic wrap over the glued area before clamping it so the clamps aren't stuck to the fabric after it dries! I let it dry for 24 hours, then I removed the clamps and cut the excess fabric off at the bottom of the rolled lip. I draped another vintage lace piece over the seat to cover the damaged front edge.
A pillow in a sham on the seat and a sweet throw pillow finish it off. This will be kept on our covered porch for a sweet sit on a hot summer day.
- Vintage wicker rocking chair (Goodwill for $5)
- Alspar latex paint, about a quart (Habitat ReStore)
- Vintage floral stripe ticking, lace edging (My fabric stash, mostly from thrift stores!)