Kirstin
Kirstin
  • Saint Louis, MO

Tin Can Solar Lantern Tutorial

I love the rustic charm of tin can lanterns. Budget-friendly and super simple to make, their warm light brings a relaxing ambiance to any outdoor party. While flickering candlelight is perfect for a special occasion, I really wanted tin can lanterns that glow all summer long. I quickly decided that making them solar powered was the way to go. I've written a tutorial for anyone interested in making their own solar tin can lanterns.
Visit Craftiments for the complete supply list and detailed instructions.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 1 Wash can and mark design
Step 1. Wash can and mark design.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 2 Drill holes with power drill
Step 2. Drill holes with power drill.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 3 Disassemble solar path light
Step 3. Disassemble solar path light.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 4 Drill hole for the LED bulb in bottom of can
Step 4. Drill hole for the LED bulb in bottom of can.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 5 Make a handle out of steel wire
Step 5. Make a handle out of steel wire.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 6 Affix solar light to the can with epoxy adhesive
Step 6. Affix solar light to the can with epoxy adhesive.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 7 Apply silicone caulk around the solar light
Step 7. Apply silicone caulk around the solar light.
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, Step 8 Charge it up in the sun
Step 8. Charge it up in the sun.....
tin can solar lantern tutorial, diy, how to, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling, and wait for nightfall
....and wait for nightfall.
Kirstin

• Sandra Hinckley

What size can fits light?

• Norma

what did you use on top of the can. I might have missed what it was but I do like the idea and would like to make some. Thanks.

Norma

• Donna

When you put the hole in the bottom center of the can , you turn the can upside down making the bottom the top. Place the yard solar top on the can putting the bulb thru the hole in the center you drilled.

The handles you make from wire, is attached to the edges of what was the bottom of the can, which is now the top of the light.

• Felicia Corage

How do you change the battery? All solar lights have a rechargeable battery inside and they come with the cheapest battery possible. Just a suggestion but if you switch out the cheap battery for a more expensive longer lasting one, it will last longer!