Asked on Sep 28, 2016

How to stop my ceiling from peeling?

Judy ArdenBernadette StaalLeah Lapish Samples
+4

I have painted the bathroom ceiling a number of times. After a few months it starts cracking and peeling. I am wondering if I should just take the ceiling down and use some other product beside sheetrock. I do have a fan so its not that issue. Any suggestions???
  • MaryJane
    MaryJane

Do you prep the ceiling each time? Try Kilz. You maybe had an oil base paint to start with than switched to a water base. They don't mix and that might be the problem.

William

May Jane is correct! Prep is the key. Prime with KILZ, BIN, or ZInsser. Use a paint that is made for bathrooms.

Janet Pizaro

You have to prime reguardless of a fan and must use the paint that is recommended for a bathroom.

• Ljgordon
    Ljgordon

The peeling paint must come off. Oil base primer can be t used for both oil based paint and latex, but you cannot put oil based paint over a latex primer. Oil based paint is a PITA to use , but I think it would be better than latex.

• Leah Lapish Samples
    Leah Lapish Samples

Prime the ceiling, and make sure you use a "ceiling paint" made for bathrooms. This helps with bacteria, mold, mildew, peeling, cracking...Good luck!

• Bernadette Staal
    Bernadette Staal

When I moved into my house the ceiling in my bathroom was a real mess so I got a professional in to replace the ceiling and it has looked fantastic ever since (15 years ago) so a bit of money well spent can go a long way.

• Judy Arden
    Judy Arden

If previous mold was painted over it will just keep peeling off. You need to strip the ceiling down to the dry wall and then prime it with Kilz. Let that dry completely before painting with a good ceiling paint.