Pam @ The Birch Cottage
Pam @ The Birch Cottage
  • Grove City, OH

Wondering What to Do With Those Store Bought Plastic Pumpkins?

$1

Plastic pumpkins can be purchased just about anywhere and they're really inexpensive. You can turn those plastic pumpkins into beautiful fall planters with just a little bit of paint.
wondering what to do with those store bought plastic pumpkins , chalk paint, crafts, doors, gardening, halloween decorations, outdoor living, painting, ponds water features, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor, woodworking projects
When I was out taking pictures of the fall foliage a couple of weeks ago, I purchased this beautiful pot of mums. I had already purchased one of those colored plastic pumpkins from Walmart and wanted to turn it into a planter. So, I decided to use my favorite chalk paint recipe and I painted that purple pumpkin a nice chalky white and created my very own DIY Fall Pumpkin Planter.
For this project you'll need:
A pretty pot of mums
One plastic pumpkin
Chalk paint
Polycrylic (optional)
I use a simple chalk paint recipe that is comprised of 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup plaster of paris and 1 cup of flat latex paint. You can actually use any color of paint, but I just love the look of the white chalk paint.
My pumpkin came with a handle and I simply cut the handle off. I applied one layer of chalk paint, let the pumpkin dry for about 30 minutes, lightly sanded and applied my second coat of paint. Once the second coat of paint was dry, I again sanded lightly. The secret to chalk paint is to make sure you mix the water and Plaster of Paris well before adding the paint to the mixture.
Then I just transplanted my purchased pot of mums into my new pumpkin planter. I set the pot of mums by the front door alongside my new Hand-Painted Welcome Sign. I actually prefer the look of the planter on the side without the face, but either way, you would never even know this DIY Fall Pumpkin Planter started out as a purple plastic pumpkin.

Pam @ The Birch Cottage

• Pam @ The Birch Cottage

You are so welcome!

• Eileen Ripp

I have multi pumpkins that I use for Halloween décor. After Halloween I go around and turn them all around so they are just pumpkins sitting among the other fall décor. An easy fix for the change of holiday to Thanksgiving/Fall.