Wondering What to Do With Those Store Bought Plastic Pumpkins?

$1

Plastic pumpkins can be purchased just about anywhere and they're really inexpensive. You can turn those plastic pumpkins into beautiful fall planters with just a little bit of paint.
When I was out taking pictures of the fall foliage a couple of weeks ago, I purchased this beautiful pot of mums. I had already purchased one of those colored plastic pumpkins from Walmart and wanted to turn it into a planter. So, I decided to use my favorite chalk paint recipe and I painted that purple pumpkin a nice chalky white and created my very own DIY Fall Pumpkin Planter.
For this project you'll need:
A pretty pot of mums
One plastic pumpkin
Chalk paint
Polycrylic (optional)
I use a simple chalk paint recipe that is comprised of 1/3 cup water, 1/3 cup plaster of paris and 1 cup of flat latex paint. You can actually use any color of paint, but I just love the look of the white chalk paint.
My pumpkin came with a handle and I simply cut the handle off. I applied one layer of chalk paint, let the pumpkin dry for about 30 minutes, lightly sanded and applied my second coat of paint. Once the second coat of paint was dry, I again sanded lightly. The secret to chalk paint is to make sure you mix the water and Plaster of Paris well before adding the paint to the mixture.
Then I just transplanted my purchased pot of mums into my new pumpkin planter. I set the pot of mums by the front door alongside my new Hand-Painted Welcome Sign. I actually prefer the look of the planter on the side without the face, but either way, you would never even know this DIY Fall Pumpkin Planter started out as a purple plastic pumpkin.

12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
31 Ways To Keep Your Home Organized
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Easy DIY Remedies For Your 7 Most Hated Bugs
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
29 Ways To Get A Splash Of Blue In Your House
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Pam @ The Birch Cottage

• Pam @ The Birch Cottage

You are so welcome!

• Eileen Ripp

I have multi pumpkins that I use for Halloween décor. After Halloween I go around and turn them all around so they are just pumpkins sitting among the other fall décor. An easy fix for the change of holiday to Thanksgiving/Fall.