What Can You Do With 12 Sq Ft of Space? Turns Out, Quite a Bit!

My daughter was desperate for a work space/desk in her bedroom. The problem? I only had a 4ft x 3ft corner in which to put it.
See how I solved that problem below.
Before the makeover, this tiny space behind the bunk bed was a "reading corner."
After the makeover, it's an efficient work space for a growing girl.
This shot shows how truly tiny the space is.
Plastic buckets hang from the bookcase and make a perfect place to store pens and pencils.
The walls are decorated with her favorite images and memorabilia...
...free floating in empty frames for quick and easy swap-outs.
A cluster of lanterns and pom poms is an inexpensive way to add color and fun to the space.
Organization is key when working in such a small area.

'a casarella

• Jewellmartin

The use of this space looks highly attractive and efficient for a tween girl. The only part I have a question about is the book rack. How will you make the book rack more usable as your daughter needs and wants books of different sizes? This looks more attractive than actually a resource she will use. But you know her best! Best wishes 😇

• Jennifer G

I love that you kept the books - reading was (and still is) very important to me growing up. Now she can read at the desk as well as do homework, crafts and special projects :) AWESOME use of the space!

• 'a casarella

@Jennifer G Thank you! She loves it and does indeed read her books there. :)

• Norma Jones

I was impressed with the "before" picture, particularly the book rack and cozy chair. I'd bet you have many treasured memories of snuggling with your daughter as you read to her in that corner. The desk/craft area was an ideal way of helping the room "grow-up" with the child. Teaching a child organizational skills is way underrated. Your daughter is learning through your gift of not only utilizing, but maximizing a small space.

• 'a casarella

@Norma Jones What a lovely comment! Thank you so much. We do indeed have many treasured memories from her reading corner and I am so pleased that she continues to be able to use the space!