Learn to Tile Like a Pro

68K Views
So Last week I had the amazing pleasure of hosting Hometalk’s DIY Facebook session. It was so much fun. put on safety gogglesI showed you how anyone could tile just about anything with these simple steps. Often we can become intimidated by the fear of the unknown. We went through a simple and easy manner in which anyone can complete their own tiling project using the SimpleMat by Custom Building and a premixed gout also by Custom Building.
Difficulty: Easy
  • learn to tile like a pro, bathroom ideas, cleaning tips, countertops, decks, repurposing upcycling, tiling
Materials
SimpleMat Tile setting sheets
Tiles
Pre-mixed Grout
Grout float
Spacers
Scissors
Bucket
Tile saw or cutter
Premixed grout, while a little more expensive makes for an easier installation. No need to worry about mixing the right ratios.
I love this tiling mat by Custom Bulding products. It works on walls, shower stalls, and counters. It made the tiling process less messy and super easy.
All you really need are the basics like these hand cutters.
Start by applying the mat to the surface.
Tile.
Before you tile you always want to do a dry fitting – figure out your tile pattern and get the basic measurements for the tile cuts.
Make your tile cuts. You can achieve most cuts if tackling a small area and small tiles by using a simple tile cutter or a tile saw. Always buy extra tiles.
Gently place tile in place. Use spacers for proper spacing. (I obviously did not use any spacers in this
And Grout. Wipe away the excess and you are DONE!
And it really is that simple.

Suggested materials for this project:

• SimpleMat  (Home Depot)
  • Premixed grout  (Home Depot)
  • Tile cutters  (Hardware store)
ToolBox Divas

• Bar4672460
    Bar4672460

How is this "a thousand times easier" than any regular tiling? This IS how you tile!

• Julie
        Julie Gordon, WI

There is definitely no shifting of the mat once place on the wall. Everything I have read says to wait at least 24-48 hours for mastic to dry or it can lead to hairline cracks, discoloration of grout. Everyone has their own way of doing things. This worked great for me & plan on doing my daughters kitchen the same way in the near future.

• Julie
        Julie Gordon, WI

I've used a similar mat also & it beats doing it with thin set. You can also grout as soon as it is up instead of waiting. I loved how mine turned out & so much easier.

• ToolBox Divas
            ToolBox Divas

Is there a fist bump emoji here :) Way to go Julie! I do love this product, I'm with you. It's hard to go back to thin set. Please share pics of your project. I know its beautiful!