Bath Vanity Makeover

$120

My home…it was/is living in the 80’s….The bathrooms are fake marble countertops with matching sinks attached.The size of the countertop and vanity…are not the normal size. This is what they look like….Yuck
So, I came up with a way less expensive idea for them. Reface instead of replace….now that sounds like a great option. If new counter top, sink, and vanity is out of the question, then this will work great for you. I can't stress how important it is to completely sand....removing the sheen...giving it some tooth for the primer. The first thing I did was to paint the sink white. I used Homax Tile and Tub, very inexpensive and so easy to use. Be sure to have fans on, windows open and wear a mask.This odor is strong!!! I put on 2 coats, letting it dry thoroughly between each coat. It came out so smooth. It has a gloss look, but what a improvement. See how much better the sink looked!!
Before
Tip on the Homax: Be sure to follow the steps to the letter! Sanding the surface is so important. Just being sure I let it completely dry between coats...I let it dry in between coats for a full day in between. I cannot stress how important that is, if you want it to hold up. Let it cure a few days before using. It takes 2 weeks to cure completely so don't use any harsh chemicals on it before it cures. In another house I put this on some tile in a bathroom, it lasted 15 years! So that's why I chose this product.
After
With the sink, what I did was put some painters tape, 1" thick, all around the top inside of the sink. When the sink was dry, and I removed the tape, it left about a inch all around the top. That inch will be covered in the countertop paint. It looks so professional.
Before
I also tore out the side panel…looked so cheap…
After
It was between the Rustoleum and the Giani counter top paint. Since Rustoleum doesn’t currently have a light color…I went with Giani White Diamond Counter top Paint. It is really easy to apply. The kit comes complete with rollers, sponges and everything you will need. I don’t have pics of the technique I used since I just started this site. But I did take a pic of how I began. I taped off the edges around the counter. I took out the faucet, since I was replacing it anyway. The black primer was a improvement! Notice where I took it 1 inch around the top of sink.
The next step was sponging on the white limestone, then the other minerals. When you have it like you want it….let it dry overnight. Then you apply 2-3 topcoats (which is included) Again, I cannot stress to you how important it is for the top coats to dry completely before reapplying another coat. When you put the first top coat on....you can sprinkle with Martha Stewarts' ultra fine glitter. But...when it's all dry...the surface where the glitter is must be smooth, if it dried with some glitter sticking out of topcoat, lightly sand till smooth, wipe then apply another coat of the top coat.
Then I put in some carrera stone molding along the top edge…added a new faucet, and there you go…done…well almost. Now the vanity. I sanded them down a bit to give them tooth for the paint. I then painted the baskets with Rustoleum Spray Chalk Paint in Vintage Grey. I added to one end some of the color that matches my shower curtain…but only on one end, in case I ever change it out…here is my shower curtain..
I just love this shower curtain!!! Well this is the result…
I then replaced the door and drawer pulls https://kelleysdiycom.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/dscn3241.jpg?w=982 The counter top looks yellow…..just the pic…. I am so sorry I didn’t have the pics showing the steps. But I will be doing my kitchen counter tops and will post step to step tutorials and pics. If you have any questions….happy to answer…thank you for looking! This is what the kitchen looks like now with the backsplash busted out!
You can purchase the Giani Countertop Paint thru Amazon here :
This is what it looked like when I had the White Diamond Primer on with the sink taped off 1" inside the sink

• Giani Countertop Kit  (amazon)
  • Rustoleum Vintage Grey Chalked Paint  (home depot)
  • Homax Tub n Tile  (home depot)

Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
Spring Cleaning Tricks for the Kitchen
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Linda kelley

• Paul Brainard

How did you make the shelves that the baskets are on? I have an area that it would work great.

• Linda kelley

For each shelf, I put 1x 2 strips on each side, front to back. I measured how big the shelves were to be, and cut to size. I put the bottom shelf on first, then the top. Screw, or nail in. You can do this, I'm sure of it. Just allow a little give when your measuring the shelves so you can get them inside.

• JoAnn Gutkowski

Does the paint chip?

• Linda kelley

No it doesn't...it's rock solid hard.I also did my kitchen counters. You can check it out on my blog kelleysdiy

• Lea Liles

I have cracked sink basins. Does the Homax product help fill in these cracks or is it just necessary to replace the whole basin?

• Linda kelley

It will filled small cracks as it is self leveling. But big cracks or deep cracks I would use a filler first.