Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Shawna Bailey
Shawna Bailey
  • West Orange, NJ

4 Surprising Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide

$1

Hydrogen Peroxide has many uses. It's a great cleaner, it's a good beauty product, and it also helps in gardening. I'm serious! It's like a miracle potion. Here are some things I use it for in my house that you might be surprised by.

surprising uses for hydrogen peroxide, appliances, cleaning tips

Surprise 1: Clean Dirty Pots and Pans

Older pots often get a burnt stain that seems like it would require a lot of scrubbing to get off. Have you ever tried it? I did, and after five minutes of deep scrubbing, I still couldn't get it off.

With just a bit of Hydrogen Peroxide, and some baking soda as a gentle abrasive, those stains come off super quick. See how shiny my pot is now?

Surprise 2: Remove Residue from Produce

Have you ever picked fruit from an apple tree? It's not nearly as shiny as the stuff you find in the store. That's because veggies and fruits come with all sorts of wax on them to make them look more appealing, and they still have pesticides on them from the growing process.

After I buy my groceries, I just fill a clean sink up with water and add a few teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. Then let them sit for about 15 minutes, and all that stuff comes right off.

Surprise 3: Sanitize Toothbrushes

We change our toothbrushes every 3 months (do you know how much bacteria is on there?). But in between that time I like to disinfect the brushes, so they don’t get gross.

I put each toothbrush in their own cup and add at least enough Hydrogen peroxide to cover all the bristles. Then I let it sit for a minute or two and they come out bacteria free.

Surprise 4: Germinate Seeds

This was actually a new tip for me. If you soak your seeds in about a cup of water with a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide, it helps with germination. Since I have a green-thumb, I was thrilled to learn about this.

It will kill any fungus that might be lying dormant on the seed (which is good because that fungus will either kill the seed or slow down it’s germination). So using this method helps seeds germinate faster.

Really cool tips, right? Please comment if you have any more useful home and garden tips with H2O2, I'd love to hear them.

• Faye B

Have you consulted. www.poison.org for safe uses of peroxide??

• Marti87114

If you have concerns about safety, Walmart sells a “Food Grade” Hydrogen Peroxide. I purchased it last year to use in my garden. It’s one of the ingredients in homemade Miracle Grow.

• Donna

How long do you soak the seeds?

• Meem Kaplan

The clock went through 2 cycles so I will assume it means 24 hours.

• Mrs. W

Can baking soda and hydrogen peroxide be used to clean silver vase

• Suzie J

Don’t use this method if your silver is supposed to have a patina; my husband did this and now my silver is shiny with no patina. It looks completely different than when new.

• Kate

Should read brown be gone!!

• Meem Kaplan

Another tip for laundry I just discovered..... Sprayway is a window cleaner that is aerosol (Ace Hardware stores) and seems to be the only window cleaner that works for me with leaving no streaks. I tried it yesterday on some newish white socks that were worn in dirty shoes several times. Stained after the dryer, ya know? ANyway, I sprayed them and all but the oldest became WHITE again! I have hard water which makes them dingy in no time. It also cleans up the base of the toilet really nicely.