4 Surprising Uses for Hydrogen Peroxide

$1

Hydrogen Peroxide has many uses. It's a great cleaner, it's a good beauty product, and it also helps in gardening. I'm serious! It's like a miracle potion. Here are some things I use it for in my house that you might be surprised by.

Surprise 1: Clean Dirty Pots and Pans

Older pots often get a burnt stain that seems like it would require a lot of scrubbing to get off. Have you ever tried it? I did, and after five minutes of deep scrubbing, I still couldn't get it off.

With just a bit of Hydrogen Peroxide, and some baking soda as a gentle abrasive, those stains come off super quick. See how shiny my pot is now?

Surprise 2: Remove Residue from Produce

Have you ever picked fruit from an apple tree? It's not nearly as shiny as the stuff you find in the store. That's because veggies and fruits come with all sorts of wax on them to make them look more appealing, and they still have pesticides on them from the growing process.

After I buy my groceries, I just fill a clean sink up with water and add a few teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide. Then let them sit for about 15 minutes, and all that stuff comes right off.

Surprise 3: Sanitize Toothbrushes

We change our toothbrushes every 3 months (do you know how much bacteria is on there?). But in between that time I like to disinfect the brushes, so they don’t get gross.

I put each toothbrush in their own cup and add at least enough Hydrogen peroxide to cover all the bristles. Then I let it sit for a minute or two and they come out bacteria free.

Surprise 4: Germinate Seeds

This was actually a new tip for me. If you soak your seeds in about a cup of water with a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide, it helps with germination. Since I have a green-thumb, I was thrilled to learn about this.

It will kill any fungus that might be lying dormant on the seed (which is good because that fungus will either kill the seed or slow down it’s germination). So using this method helps seeds germinate faster.

Really cool tips, right? Please comment if you have any more useful home and garden tips with H2O2, I'd love to hear them.

This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

• Eclipsebigdog

Did you try it on your thumb to get it back to skin tone instead of green?

I bet it would work! I guess this wearing of gloves because of the virus make you feel better when out in public? I mean with that green thumb being covered up and not attracting attention?

You really want watch and make sure you get hydrogen Peroxide for household use only! There are stronger versions which can give you a chemical burn! I think 3% is normal solution?

• Lourdes maldonado

I have white cotton velvet drapes.How can I spot clean them without removing them

• Vickie

Can you use peroxide plus water as a hand sanitizer?

• Pat1946

Here's another use for peroxide. You can get pet urine out of your carpet but not the padding. Dilute one part peroxide with 5 parts water. Pour mixture on the carpet and let it soak in for about 15 minutes. Put a thick towel or rags on the spot and a heavy weight on top. The moisture will be absorbed along with the urine and the stain.

• Tonya Heers

I use hydrogen peroxide straight out of the bottle on my parent’s white carpet on their dog’s poop and pee spots. Let it soak 5-10 minutes and it comes right up. Way cheaper than any pet urine remover they sell. Plus, I use it to pre-treat their carpets before I clean them. Stuff is amazing and so cheap!!