Cindy Gazso
Cindy Gazso
  • Janesville, WI

Painting a Brick Fireplace With Chalk Paint®

We painted our outdated red and black brick fireplace and built in bookshelves with Chalk Paint®. The soft grey grout was in pristine condition and since we didn't want a "rolled on" look, we painted each brick individually with Country Grey Chalk Paint® which really added texture. The mantel is painted in Graphite Chalk Paint® and distressed a bit. The built-ins and cabinets are French Linen Chalk Paint® and walls are Country Grey.
The transformation was a pleasure to do and Chalk Paint® was awesome to work with.
The before
The before
The after
The after
The fireplace is bright, clean and modern. The mantel painted in Graphite Chalk Paint® really makes a bold statement. We painted the metal surround with Rust-oleum High Heat Paint.
The built in bookshelves and cabinetry is painted French Linen Chalk Paint® and completely changed the look of the room.

• Sca3491187

How does this hold up with a wood burning fireplace? Ashe and soot will occur, so can it be washed/cleaned?

• Cindy Gazso

My fireplace is gas so that will not occur. Over time, if wood burning soot begins to build up on the bricks/stone, simply wash down and paint again.

• Pres. Kathy Babich

Is chalk paint heat resistant? I have a white brick fireplace now that goes all the way to the ceiling and I really don't like the white brick anymore. I have never used the fireplace because of the white brick. would love to start using it and not have to worry about maybe it catching on fire if the paint is not heat resistant.

• Clo22238668

We have a fireplace in a cottage that has a "heat circulating" fan system that requires 2 small vents on either side at the bottom and a large vent across the space above the fire opening for heat to come into the room (located where a manel would usually hang). I never use the system and hate those vents. Also, the brick shows signs of effervescence. How do I fix the effervescence problem and cover the vents? I have painted the brick to update but it needs more.
  • Kim Rassi

I have a Finnish Fireplace, very rare... the heated air is circulated behind the brick making the brick heat up pretty high which warms your room by radiant heat. Also known as a masonry heater. My question is about painting the bricks. With the bricks getting very warm will painting them affect their ability to heat up, and will it create a smell or fire hazard?https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1890132098/?tag=hearthamazon-20
  • Kathy

I'm in California but really like the transformation. I have a brick fireplace with gas insert an I so want to brighten up. How did you get started?
    , My mantel is green to match entertainment center across the room an has natural gas insert but brick in good shape just needs face lift an don t want to go to big expense
    • Cindy Gazso

I would suggest finding your local Annie Sloan Chalk Paint shop, called stockists. They will be a wealth of knowledge about Chalk Paint and that is the paint I used and recommend. Still looks amazing. I started with a good cleaning of the brick using a brush to remove any dirt and dust, then painted. I did a dry brush technique with Chalk Paint, but I've also seen it rolled over brick and grout for a more modern look. Your Chalk Paint stockist would be a great help with techniques. For my metal fire door, I used Rustoleum High Heat paint for surfaces like barbeque grills. www.anniesloan.com Good luck and have fun!
  • Linda White

I used black chalk paint on my old red brick …. it looks great but am wanting to change it to white so I can keep original painted walls vs repainting. Can I use white chalk paint over the black chalk?