DIY Dollar Store Skull Halloween Garland

$7.00

I am ready to start thinking about Halloween and anytime I can pick up decorations at the dollar store means I can get more decor for less money! This is an easy project that cost only about $7 for garland almost six feet long!
diy dollar store skull halloween garland, halloween decorations, seasonal holiday decor
I started by cutting six feet of black tulle from a bolt. I then cut that piece in half. That gave me two pieces that were each 6' by 27 inches.
This doesn't look like much, but is a very important step! Take the last 12 inches on one end of the tulle and cut it down as shown to only about 12 inches wide. If you don't do this, your knot will be too bulky to fit through the holes in your skulls.
My dad always wants to get involved so he drilled the holes for me in the skulls! I had him use a 5/16 ths drill bit.
Next you will want to take a heavy floral wire (at least 18 gauge), bend over the end about 3 " to serve as your needle for threading your tulle.
Tie a loose knot in your tulle and loop the wire through it.
Pull the knot as tight as you can (don't tear your tulle) around the wire and you are ready to thread it onto your skulls.
Thread the wire through the skull pulling the wire out the other side.
You might need to squeeze your wire 'needle' a little tighter to get it to fit through the hole in your skulls.
Continue pulling through the skull. Don't be too aggressive so you don't bend your needle inside the skull. Pull the tulle through and you will be ready to thread on another skull.
I found six skulls to be about the most that look good on one garland due to the weight. I spaced mine about 6" apart on the tulle. If you want a longer garland like I did, use more than one garland. Knot both ends of the tulle and hang your garland with chenille stems or wire. I used Command strip hooks to hang mine on my mantel.
If you want to light up your garland, cut a little flap in the back of each skull and tuck a battery operated candle inside!

• Plastic Skulls  (Dollar Tree)
  • Black Tulle  (Amazon)
  • 18 gauge florist Wire  (Amazon)
Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)