DIY Mercury Glass Pumpkin Vase

$30

I know I did a mercury glass tutorial before, but I decided to add a step this time to show you how you can make one that has some background color to it! Just in time for fall, this pumpkin shaped mercury glass vase is quick and easy! Add some nice flowers, and you will have a great centerpiece for your next autumn dinner party! For the most part you will only need a pumpkin jar and some mirror glass spray paint along with some mod podge and food coloring for a nice crackled color finish.
SUPPLIES: -Glass Pumpkin Jar -Mirror Spray Paint -Mod Podge -Food Coloring -Water/Vinegar Mix in a Spray Bottle -Scissors -Floral Foam -An Array of Flowers
STEP 1: Color the inside of the jar Place several drops of blue and green food coloring into the bottom of the pumpkin jar. I probably added 3-4 drops of each color. Pour a good tablespoon of Mod podge into the jar on top of the food coloring.

STEP 2: Stir it up with some water Add a small touch of water to the mixture in the jar. A teaspoon is probably fine. I kind of went by eye. You want it to be a bit less thick, but not too soupy either. Stir it all up!
STEP 3: Coat all the sides Swirl the mixture around the inside of the pumpkin jar making sure to coat all sides nice and evenly. Get in all the crevices and don't miss any spots.
STEP 4: Let it dry a little bit Place your jar upside down on a piece of cardboard or plastic and allow any extra Mod podge mixture to drip out. (You should leave it for a couple of minutes)
STEP 5: Bake the jar Place your pumpkin upside down on a cookie sheet on top of a piece of wax paper and bake it in the oven on warm for 20 minutes. Turn the pumpkin right side up once the 20 minutes is up, and bake it for another 20. If there are still streaks, you can leave it in for several more minutes and they will fade. It should look like the bottom picture once it is done. (This is a great method to color any glass item)
STEP 6: Spray the jar with vinegar and water Once your piece has cooled down from being in the oven, you are ready to add the mercury effect. First, spritz the glass with a vinegar/water mixture so that water droplets form. Immediately following your water/vinegar spritz you will spray your mirror spray paint evenly over the whole far. *You can dab any water beads away from the glass with a paper towel. You can also repeat this process as many times as needed to gain the effect you want.
STEP 7: Add your pretty flowers Now it's time to add the blooms! First you will need to place some floral foam down on the bottom of the vase to stick the stems into, so the flowers stay in place.
STEP 8: Cut the stems Cut your stems to the appropriate width and arrange the flowers as desired.
The glass looks great even without the flowers... You can apply the same effect to the lid and just use it as a candy or treat jar too! I will probably use it for both, honestly.
I feel like I need fresh flowers in my house on the daily now... Well, okay, I have always sort of felt that way.
Alright alright... I know these English roses (a great faux peony for when peonies aren't in season, which is unfortunately most of the year) sort of take the cake in this picture, but that mercury beauty is still shining through.
Here is a better close up of all the crackled mercury goodness!
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Everything Red For Canada Day
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
15 Easy & Colorful DIY Projects For Your Home
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
25 Fun Things You'll Want to DIY Before the Spring Arrives
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas

• Sandy Sharp

If I want to make Christmas votives with red inside, how can I make it more translucent so a red glow shows through?
    • Sandy Sharp

Or is there a more translucent mirror paint that would work like a one-way mirror, so the inside shows through, but only with a light source inside (especially at night with less room light). That would give it a look at night that's different from the daytime look.

• Sandy Sharp

Could I use paint made for glass (that gets baked on) on the inside to create a finish that will stand up to water? That way, I could also paint using more than one color.
  • Sandy Sharp

How would the finish look if I started with etched glass (sea glass look)?

• Dl.5660408

Oh soooo pretty! I’m so glad you showed a source for the glass pumpkin, because I had one until my naughty cat knocked it on the floor! Your flowers are arranged so beautifully too!
  • Tinamomoftwins

I have never been a fa of mercury glass look....until now! This is beautiful! Great job!