My New and Easy to Do Coastal Kitchen

When I moved in to this old loft apartment, the cabinets in the kitchen were already painted this aqua color and I wasn't sure if I liked them or not, but decided to go with it.The first thing I did was pulled up the old carpet. Yes, there was carpet in the kitchen. Who does that? It wasn't even pretty. Then I had new plywood laid in and I used wood filler to fill in all the cracks and crevices and sanded it all smooth. I am still cleaning up dust all over the rest of the house. I painted two coats of white primer over the plywood and then two coats of white semi gloss floor paint. I let that sit over night. I had a friend who happen to have a carpet square that was the perfect size for me to use as a pattern. With a pencil I traced the squares where I wanted them and marked every other one so that I would know which ones to paint my aqua color. I taped the inside edges of the squares that were not being painted. Once all the aqua squares were painted with two coats and dried, I pulled up all the tape. I then painted a thin coat of water based polyurethane over the whole floor. Water base dries quicker than oil base and is much easier to clean up. Once the polyurethane was dry, I sanded it lightly with a number 220 sand paper. I then painted two more coats sanding between each coat to give it a nice clean and smooth shine.
I bought a little round table and two chairs from a garage sale. The table was painted a candy apple red and the chairs were green. Now this was pretty and Santa would have loved it, but I am far from the North pole and needed the set to match my cabinets. I painted the table and the chairs a solid clean white and then placed tape across the table to form my stripes. I then painted my stripes aqua. I found some old wooden plantation shutters and nailed them to the wall above the table and painted an old life preserver...you guessed...aqua! I hotglued some white starfish around it and hung it on the shutters for a cute beachy feel.
I also found an old cabinet behind the bathroom door and pulled it out. Cleaned it up real good, added some bead board on the back and a top, painted it all white, used boat cleats for door knobs and stuck some bar stools under it. It makes the perfect size little island/work space. Now I have a cute little coastal kitchen.

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas

• Janet chambers

I just redid a small area in my mud room, turning it into a breakfast nook. It is about the same color as your kitchen! Love it! You did a great job!

, This is an area between my back door and kitchen On the other side of this is my craft laundry room I purchased a white screen to hide the other half Love this little spot
    • Mrs P

Little spots are the best, I would look for a corner shelf, paint it white to put some live plants, little chime for the window, we need these spots........this is a cute spot. Well enjoy yourself !!!!

• Marilyn Hill

Well done ..it looks amazing !