DLyn Murphey
DLyn Murphey
  • Saint Simons Island, GA

My New and Easy to Do Coastal Kitchen

When I moved in to this old loft apartment, the cabinets in the kitchen were already painted this aqua color and I wasn't sure if I liked them or not, but decided to go with it.The first thing I did was pulled up the old carpet. Yes, there was carpet in the kitchen. Who does that? It wasn't even pretty. Then I had new plywood laid in and I used wood filler to fill in all the cracks and crevices and sanded it all smooth. I am still cleaning up dust all over the rest of the house. I painted two coats of white primer over the plywood and then two coats of white semi gloss floor paint. I let that sit over night. I had a friend who happen to have a carpet square that was the perfect size for me to use as a pattern. With a pencil I traced the squares where I wanted them and marked every other one so that I would know which ones to paint my aqua color. I taped the inside edges of the squares that were not being painted. Once all the aqua squares were painted with two coats and dried, I pulled up all the tape. I then painted a thin coat of water based polyurethane over the whole floor. Water base dries quicker than oil base and is much easier to clean up. Once the polyurethane was dry, I sanded it lightly with a number 220 sand paper. I then painted two more coats sanding between each coat to give it a nice clean and smooth shine.
I bought a little round table and two chairs from a garage sale. The table was painted a candy apple red and the chairs were green. Now this was pretty and Santa would have loved it, but I am far from the North pole and needed the set to match my cabinets. I painted the table and the chairs a solid clean white and then placed tape across the table to form my stripes. I then painted my stripes aqua. I found some old wooden plantation shutters and nailed them to the wall above the table and painted an old life preserver...you guessed...aqua! I hotglued some white starfish around it and hung it on the shutters for a cute beachy feel.
I also found an old cabinet behind the bathroom door and pulled it out. Cleaned it up real good, added some bead board on the back and a top, painted it all white, used boat cleats for door knobs and stuck some bar stools under it. It makes the perfect size little island/work space. Now I have a cute little coastal kitchen.
my new and easy to do coastal kitchen, flooring, home decor, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, kitchen island, painting

• Janet chambers

I just redid a small area in my mud room, turning it into a breakfast nook. It is about the same color as your kitchen! Love it! You did a great job!

, This is an area between my back door and kitchen On the other side of this is my craft laundry room I purchased a white screen to hide the other half Love this little spot
    • Mrs P

Little spots are the best, I would look for a corner shelf, paint it white to put some live plants, little chime for the window, we need these spots........this is a cute spot. Well enjoy yourself !!!!

• Marilyn Hill

Well done ..it looks amazing !