How do I clean my bathtub without hurting my back?

+14
I am frustrated with cleaning my bathtub and shower doors. I am limited physically and find it difficult to clean these areas. I am also on a septic system so I have to be careful with cleaners. Is there a way to clean these areas without hurting myself and my septic system? Soap scum and hard water are the culprits!
  • Rin2496165 Rin2496165 on Oct 02, 2016
    HI. As far as soap scum and hard water I use baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda has some scrub to it and the two just dissolve soap scum. To avoid bending over for the bottom of a shower door I use a little cart that I bought for the garden. Plastic seat on wheels with a storage tray underneath. Huge back saver. Looks like it was made by PlaySchool lol. I use it to clean bottom cabinets and am going to to use it to lay flooring. My shower and useless garden tub are both fiberglass. A cheap broom from the dollar store with some Barkeeper works great and in the end I have a clean broom. Hope this helps
  • Deb Deb on Oct 02, 2016
    I use a new clean mop just for that purpose and scrub with a mop.
  • Marlene Marlene on Oct 02, 2016
    Clean the bathtub and shower with a mop. No bending!
  • Gloria_doug Gloria_doug on Oct 02, 2016
    I use an adjustable squeegie with sponge on the end , usually made for windows. No bending .
  • Bea Bea on Oct 02, 2016
    I can sympathize! I found a sponge that has a scrubber side that is attached to an adjustable long handle at Dollar General. It's great when you have limited range of motion or aren't able to bend. I also have found that using an after shower spray cuts down on the number of times I actually have to scrub the shower. Plenty of recipes on Hometalk for the after shower spray. Best of luck!
  • Lisa Larchyk Lisa Larchyk on Oct 02, 2016
    Soap scum on shower doors is cleaned easily with liquid fabric softener on a damp rag. Wipe it on, spray it off! For my tub and enclosure, I have a Mr Clean scrubby-thing that came attached to an extension pole. Works pretty well.
  • Jerre Miller Jerre Miller on Oct 02, 2016
    When I finish showering I wipe my shower down with a squeegie. Once a week I use a dish soap sponge with a handle that I can put vinegar and dish soap in. I scrub the shower and tub down with the sponge then rince and squeegie it down.
  • Msc12149616 Msc12149616 on Oct 02, 2016
    Once you clean the walls and tub apply a liquid car wax (just follow the directions) going forward the water and soap sum etc will slide ride off :)
    • See 2 previous
      Yes of course it needs to be redone, but it saves you much time, energy and pain in between..... up to 3 months, if you gently wipe down the water of the walls at least after the shower, get a micro cloth, and do it after you take a shower, turn the water of, wrap yourself in a towel and gently wipe the walls :) 4x a year, that's all I need to do :) and if that is too much, I guess you need to hire a cleaning lady every 3 months.... cleaning the bathroom 1 1/2 hours max = $30
  • Diana Deiley Diana Deiley on Oct 02, 2016
    Once a month, I use a kitchen sponge and wipe on liquid barkeepers soap (you could use a long handled brush), then rinse with cold water. Works great. Best of luck. Stay well.
  • TMP TMP on Oct 02, 2016
    Cleaning every three or four days is key. The cleaner you keep it, the less work each cleaning requires.
  • Mary Mary on Oct 02, 2016
    I hurt my back once when I was young and discovered that a kitchen sponge mop works great. You don't have to bend over, rinse under the faucet, pull the ringer handle and carry on. Years later I have one just for the showers. It works well with any cleaning product
  • Marianne Marianne on Oct 04, 2016
    Use a product like 'clean shower' to use between "big" cleanings. It keeps the shower clean a long time.
  • Donna Gregory Donna Gregory on Mar 18, 2018
    I hurt my neck and shoulder in a car accident. I am hiring a cleaning service until I feel better. $159.00 every two weeks or you can hire them monthly or even just one time. Maybe I can claim it as a medical expense on my taxes. In between times, I will do what I can with my non-dominant hand.