DLyn Murphey
DLyn Murphey
  • Saint Simons Island, GA

Day Bed and Trundle

My grand children have a new place to sleep when they come to visit. I live in a one bedroom loft apartment and they used to sleep with me. As they have grown and move all over the place kicking me off and stealing my comforter, I decided to build them a place to sleep and a place for me to nap when they are not here. My cat thinks I built it for him. I built this from scrap wood that I found at different construction sites. The only thing I actually paid for were the wheels on the bottom of the trundle, the knobs on the faux drawers and the screws to hold it all together. The frame that makes the faux drawers is actually an old window frame. I wanted it to look like several drawers instead of a trundle. This turned out to be a really cozy little spot and if you don't believe me, just asked my cat who sleeps there every day.
I actually started with a wooden twin frame that I bought from a yard sale. I built two rectangle boxes out of scrap plywood the height that I wanted the bed to sit on and screwed the boxes to the wall where the head and foot rest on top of. I took a two by one by 40 inch piece of lumber and screwed it to the back wall under the window, just to give the bed some extra support and sturdiness. I screwed the bed to the small frames at head and foot and to the board on back wall. That bed is there to stay! I then built another frame the size for a twin mattress to fit in and put wheels on the bottom of each corner. I put a facing board on it to be the front of the trundle and added an old window panel frame and knobs just for added decoration and to look like separate faux drawers. For more decoration, I added some bead board and rope trimming to the sides. The trundle is easy to pull in and out using the knobs as well. I already had a "beachy" quilt that I had purchased from The Company Store a few years ago at a very reasonable price and I found some scrap material to match that I had left over from making an ottomon, so I made some throw pillows to...you guessed it...throw on the daybed. All together, this project cost me about $45.00 for the screws and knobs. I already had everything else.
Day bed with Trundle
Day bed with Trundle
Day bed with Trundle
Day bed with Trundle

• Sharon Huling

I'm new and I guess I missed the instructions. Is there a link? Your bed is lovely.

• Beth Williams

Hi. At the end of the article are 3 blue dots. I pressed them and there was the rest of the article with the how tos!

• G'ne

We would like to try, but see no building instructions. How did you start? What does the frame look like?

• Polly Zieper

come make me one!1it looks great, and so cozy:)

• Irene Findlay

This is lovely ,needs must, made with love ,your grandchildren must love having their own special bed at grannys house ,well done you X