Making Your Grill Look Built In

About 3 years ago I built a structure/cabinet around my grill to make it look built in since the $3500 price tag for a "real" built in was out of the question. I finally got around to making some changes since the wood did not hold up the first time. Trial and error is my DIY philosophy because I am not a contractor~just a woman with ideas. This time I did it myself to avoid the hassle of trying to explain my idea and now my grill looks just the way I want~built in.
I used pickets (at $1.54 you cannot beat the price). The new doors and front I had redone since the other wood did not survive abuse and weather.
The door for the LP tank so the gas is accessible to turn on and off .
Used slate tiles (these have been in for 3 years now)
These rocks I picked up on the beach at Camp LeJeune NC when my son was stationed there. I love these rocks so I had to use them (also been there for 3 years)
Originally there was a floor and the grill was set inside and one side had to be propped. Changed my design to accommodate the uneven grill 'legs. this time I worked alone and did my idea and I am very happy with my results
See the grill sets on the 4x4 blocks and the LP tank off to side (reinforced under the wood for the LP). You could actually have the grill sit on the deck
The Garden Frog with C Renee

• Fastnacht Shavout

i think you did an excellent job, and i like that fact that it is homemade and you didn't rely on anyone else to give you what you want. you truly show, "Where there is a will, there is a way".

• Marti Biegler

We just did a similar outside grill area, but I need to warn you about yours. If you read the back of the grill, it will state (or should) that it needs to be 18 inches away from combustible materials. That being said, we did ours with metal studs. The area around the grill was done with concrete board and anything wood was kept far away. I stuccoed the inside area and on the back we did stacked faux stone with real stone at the top. While yours does look lovely, if it goes up in flames, your insurance will probably not cover it.

• @Marti Biegler It has been there for 3 years and I use it at least 3 times a week. I actually used durock on the back and turned on the grill to find out where the heat comes out. The grill also sits up so the heat and if there were to be any flames do not heat up any of the area.