Marie Heiderscheit
Marie Heiderscheit
  • Oklahoma City, OK

DIY Bistro Sign From Repurposed Cabinet Doors

I love finding ways to bring new life to old things. I had these cabinet doors in my garage for quite some time so I decided to get crafty and turn them into a chalkboard bistro sign! I love how it turned out and it is now on my front porch where I change up the words on it to fit each season.
diy bistro sign from repurposed cabinet doors, chalkboard paint, crafts, doors, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design
First, I took some metal hinges and attached them to the top insides of the cabinet doors. When drilling in your screws it is always helpful to first drill a few pilot holes, and then drive in your screws. This makes the screws go in easier and straighter.
With the hinges on, I gathered up my paint supplies. I used some rough sandpaper to lightly sand down the area where I would apply my chalkboard paint. After the area was sanded, I wiped it down with a damp cloth to clean the surface.
Next, I applied the painters tape all around the edges to ensure the paint would only be where I wanted it! I then brushed on a coat of chalkboard paint and let it dry before adding a second coat.
After the chalkboard paint was dry, all that was left was to write on it! I looked for some clever quotes online and came across this one that made me laugh. It's not bragging if its true, right?
This project was so simple and easy and really only took me an afternoon! Im sure you could make a similar sign using any type of wood planks that are the same size.
The chalkboard on my front porch just adds a warming touch for guests coming to visit. It's also fun to decorate and change up the sayings for the seasons!

• Cabinet Doors
  • Valspar Chalkboard Paint
  • Metal Hinges with Screws
Marie Heiderscheit

• Allison Fredrickson

Is there a place that you can buy the twisty style latch that's on the right side?

• Sal33990196

Look at Lee Valley Tools. Wonderful stuff for woodworkers and other carpentry supplies. Other neat stuff too.

• Catherine

Love this, it is welcoming. Did you paint both sides? If so, you can just turn it around for a different message. Thanks for a great idea!
  • Ter7511839

Did you " season " your chalk board after you painted it?? If so, you may want to add that to the details on what you had to do.
    • Diana Cotton

This a perfect idea for Sweet P’s the boutique I work at!!! I’m in LOVE with this idea and doesn’t seem like it would take long to make. BONUS: I already have all the material needed :)