Carole
Carole
  • Australia

Patio Setting Update

Well, you may have seen a post here under the title Spring Is Sprung a few weeks ago. Well, I realised that the little Zen garden table that I made was meant to go with these chairs but was sitting on it's own in the back yard. I thought better to bring the trio together and also get the table under the eaves where it will not be affected so badly by wind and rain. This is the result. I added the red stripe cushions that I made over especially to go with the red chairs that I had painted and removed the urn that was there previously and put the glazed pot with Zen like garden in its place. I improved the Zen garden with some little ornaments that I bought on the weekend from a Bonsai stall at the Better Homes and Gardens live show on Sunday. I think with the addition of the pagoda and bridge, it looks much better. Apologies for the quality of the photos of the table/Zen garden as there was glare on the glass. I hope you can see properly! I had two navy seat cushions, which I recovered with the red and white fabric, adding more batting for comfort and making new tie-ons. The glass was a left over from a previous project and I wanted to use it up. The little rake was made from a cheap wooden spoon and some wooden bbq skewers for the tines of the rake. The Buddha is actually an incense burner but you don't see that bit as it is buried in the sand. I only used sand for the top 4 inches of the pot - underneath is padded out with cardboard etc, as otherwise the pot would be too heavy to move. The glass top is sitting on stick-on plastic bumpers, adhered to the bottom of the glass. The little plant in the pot is a fake!
After - with cushions and the glazed pot/Zen garden table.
Zen garden
Zen garden
Closer look at the garden
Closer look at the garden
Originally - the 'before' shot
Originally - the 'before' shot

• Hi! Love this! Ive been trying to come up w/ some type of table to finish off my porch, but haven’t been able to find anything that really jumped out at me-Until I saw your post-I was thinking up diff ideas before I’d even finished reading it! The possibilities are endless...I honestly wasn’t sure how I was going to pick just one! Then, I saw ur suggestion of a fairy garden and I immediately knew that’d be perfect!! I’m so excited! Can’t wait to get started! I already have a base, but I was wondering where you bought the glass top??? Thanks for all of your great ideas! Fingers crossed that mine turns out even half as cute as yours!

• Carole

Thank you. I got the glass top from another piece of furniture that I made over that did not need the glass top. I replaced the glass with a bamboo lazy susan minus the rotating bit to make a bamboo topped round rolling butchers cart. So I was just using what I had on hand. Glass can be expensive to cut to size.

• Gail Salminen

@Carole Loving this table. I have two round pieces of glass I am going to repurpose, this looks like the perfect repruposing project. Thanks for sharing :) Great space with the furniture, terrific job!

• Carole

@Gail Salminen Thank you Gail! Two pieces! You could make bedside tables using two pots! I have seen these little garden pot "tables" done with the sand in the top and using shells/starfish etc for a beachy theme but I am sure there are many more themes you could go with. I guess you are only limited by your own imagination. I also wondered if fairy lights might look nice in a pot with the glass top - or would that be too much? Or a fairy garden for a child? If you wanted to go with fairy lights as an outside table I think a string of solar lights might work as they would still get the sun through the glass top. Oh dear - now I am thinking of more ideas to do! LOL!

• Marion Nesbitt

Like the concept. Like the red chairs and pots. Gives some zing to the setting. My personal preferences are for chairs with armrests, and a higher table for easier reach for coffee, newspaper, etc. Maybe you could double up as per Gail and Carole have mentioned if it's to your taste.