Fall Patio and Urban Farm Tour

When we purchased our home 12 years ago, the very small urban back yard consisted of some grass, a small sapling tree and a couple of shrubs. Since then, I have been working to transform it into a space to relax, play, eat, grow food and raise a small flock of hens. This fall, I gave the chicken coop and some outdoor dining chairs a makeover using Old Fashioned Milk Paint.
The coop is made of cedar and if left untreated, would weather to a soft gray. I wanted to give the corner of my garden a little pop of color. The photo above is my view from the kitchen window. I used Old Fashioned Milk Paint in "Sea Green" to update the coop. The color is a greenish grayish blue, and I love it on the coop. The wonderful thing about true milk paint, besides being nontoxic and eco-friendly, is that is absorbs into raw wood like a stain and created the perfect look for the coop.
My hen Sweet Pea seems happy with the new color! The pumpkin is from my garden, too. It's a Sugar Pie pumpkin that we grew on a 7 foot trellis. Pumpkins can take up a lot of space, so we grow smaller varieties and trellis them to make use of the vertical space in our garden.
I painted a couple of old teak dining chairs using milk paint also. I wanted a weathered gray finish, so I used a custom mixed gray milk paint for the base coat and then applied a second coat using the color "Driftwood" to add dimension.
I made a no sew burlap table runner and no sew ticking napkins for the table. I set the table for a fall dinner using thrifted white plates, colorful dahlias and pumpkins.
We also grew columnar apples in containers. They are great for small urban gardens because they stay narrow and don't get too tall.
I added vibrant fall blooms and pumpkins for simple fall decor.
For more photos of my fall projects, please head on over to my blog!

• Old Fashioned Milk Paint

The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Susan @ Saw Nail and Paint

1 comment
  • Nat
    Nat

You've created a beautiful area. I love the table decor and the farm ornaments in your garden.