Gorgeous Shiplap at a Fraction of the Price

$60

I have a girl crush on Joanna Gaines and when I grow up, i want to be her. Seriously. Not only are Chip and Jo the definition of "relationship goals", but Jo has made a career doing what she loves and has been such an inspiration to so many people along the way - myself included. Not to mention, she basically introduced the world to shiplap and for that, I am eternally grateful. Shiplap doesn't seem to have been used in the homes in east Tennessee so I wasn't able to salvage any and i definitely wasn't lucky enough to discover it behind some nasty drywall on the infamous "demo day." so we made our own and we spent less than $60 doing so!

Our dining room hadn't gotten much attention in the time we have been in our house. The door and the door frame had shifted significantly over the years and they had to be replaced. I figured if we are going to have a nice door, we might as well make the rest of the room pretty too.

I started by going to Home Depot to get a couple sheets of wood. I decided to use underlayment because it was smooth, light weight, and most cost effective. Here is the link to the product I used.

www.homedepot.com/p/underlayment-common-7-32-in-x-4-ft-x-8-ft-actual-0-196-in-x-48-in-x-96-in-431178/203183010

Tip: be extra nice to whoever is working in lumber when you go to buy yours and take a sharpie with you! The gentleman who was working when I went was kind enough to use their fancy saw and cut the board into 6" strips. You want them cut long ways so that you have longer planks. Be warned - you might have to pay per cut but believe me – it’s so worth it! The sharpie will come in handy on the last piece of every board - it’s basically scrap and you want to mark it as such. If you measure that piece, it will not be an even 6" and it will even vary depending on where you measure. If you put it on the wall, it will mess you up. Don't ask me how I know that, just trust me!

My husband's best friend found himself bored on a Saturday morning so I put him to work. We started on the top left corner of the wall by nailing the board into place using a nail gun. You will probably have to make some cuts of your own at this point. I was able to get two short pieces out of one plank. I staggered mine by using a long piece on the left side of the first row and then a short piece to start the second row. I wanted every other row of mine to line up so I cut all the short pieces to the same length instead of using whatever was left over of the previous row to start the next one.

Here is a better picture of the planks so you can see how they are staggered.

I finished by using Behr’s "Falling Snow." I used 2 full quarts on my wall, it took me 3 coats. I would highly recommend priming it before you put it up, another thing you can learn from my mistakes. Before final touches

To complete the wall, I purchased these frames from Hobby Lobby and this "gather" wood-cutout from an Etsy shop called "ImpressionsShop3" and they have given me a promo code to share with you guys for 10% off your order! Use the code impressions shop at checkout.

Susanna | Livin' The Life Of Riley

• Karen Rodriguez Kostal

Love this chandelier! Where is it from?

• Joanne Anderson

How much was the underpayment and the cost overall for the wall?

• Hi Joanne, the link to the product I used is listed above. I know prices vary in different parts of the county but I used 3 - 4x8 boards at $12 each and 2 quarts of white paint at $12 each. We already owned a nail gun so the total cost for this shiplap project was $60, as listed in the post.

• Joanne Anderson

Shoot I missed that - sorry - ! Thank you for being so thorough. I'm up in Canada, so I imagine prices will be slightly higher. I may try to go to the Habitat ReStore and see if I can find something similar. Cheers

• Joyce

Did you leave any space between the rows or are they butted up against each other?

• Backhome

What kind of wood did you use?

• Jessica McCarley

What did you do to go around electrical outlets?

• Dve13357982

What did you use to attach the picture frames to the rod? I want to hang pictures on an ladder rungs, I like the look that you chose. Thank you

• Christine Mayes

I love the ladder rungs idea. Ill have to pay attention to the response on what she used to hang them. 😊

• Amy Evans

I'm pretty sure she bought them that way!

• Ivy Hernandez

It says in the end that she bought them from Hobby Lobby

• Kmo4149175

You could probably just buy the eyelet hooks that screw into wood and slide them onto a nicely painted dowel or a piece of black iron. You can find varying eye hooks in the hardware section of Lowe's, Home Depot etc. The shiplap looks awesome!!

• Nihan Dincer Do-Vale

Where can I find same kind of dining chairs?? Do they called any specific name.

• Gracie Orr

Love your table! I want one just like that but square and higher! I may have to make one! Where did you get it?

• Amyhilesmaynard

I made this almost exact table taking the top off a table I had and then adding 2"x12"pine boards side by side on top. I glued them together. For the top I dinged them with a hammer to distress them, then stained them using vinegar and steel wool, and then burned them with a propane handheld tank. All this combined gave it a very aged look. Last step was to add 1"x4" apron framing around the top which I painted black along with the legs. It's beautiful.

• Pam

Windsor chairs have rounded backs but do have spindles.

• I somehow missed all these questions - I am so sorry! My husband surprised me with this table as a "last splurge before we have a baby" gift - it was built by a local couple. Try asking on local Facebook pages to find someone in your area who could build one for you!
  • Sally

Did you remove the shoe molding and run the ship lap to the floor and then put it back?

• Susan

The baseboard looks like it wasn't removed... you can do either.

• Rjb15024850

I love the Shiplap! Where did you get it? It looks awesome!

• Grandmasue10

Re- read the description: They had boards cut to look like shiplap.

• UpState

Regular paneling, turned sideways, is an easier & less expensive alternative.

• Etd1960

It's true! People only look at the pictures instead of reading the post!! 😂

• Sha7840863

Who did you attach the ship-lap? Glue or nails or both?

• Lorri R

Quote from the post. "We started on the top left corner of the wall by nailing the board into place using a nail gun." :)

• Diena Cameron

It really pays to read the whole post people .) Great job on the shiplap, gorgeous. I too, love Joanna Gaines even though I'm 65 yrs old, i have learned so much from her.

• Alyson

I love Joanna too! Would be great to go to Waco and see their shops! Have you read their book yet? I just sent my check for their magazine...cant wait til it comes!

• Sha7840863

Thanks, we did it in our small master bath and one master bedroom wall. I love the look.
      I have their book, thinking about getting the magazine too. Joanna is marvelously talented. So enjoy their show.

• Mercedeh Khoshnood

Did you change the door? In the before and after pictures there are 2 different doors the after has a much bigger window which allows more ligh into the room.

• Leslie Noall

Where did you find that "Gather" sign? It is absolutely awesome! (Just like the Shiplap is!) I really would love to find one of those Gather signs! And I have the perfect place too hang it! Thanks!

• Rhonda Dodds

I love it all!!! I love the Gather sign too! I went to the etsy site but can't find the impressions shop3? Any advice? Great work! Rhonda Tucson Az

• Renata

So down where the electrical runs through the wall , how did you nail it without going through a wire? Also you just nailed them to the sheet rock? I would be afraid the nails would work out after awhile with vibrations

• Ann Cassler

I would think you need to find studs at least for some of the nails unless you use liquid nails.
    • Wanday

Liquid nails is how would go.
  • How did you change the door for under $60., oh and the trim around door.

• This tutorial and the cost listed is just for the shiplap, not the entire room.
    • Donna

This is EXACTLY how the article was pitched to us:
      "When she told us she spent just $60 on this dining room makeover we weren’t expecting this! http://bit.ly/2sS8FYJ" So it is a bit misleading. That being said, it does look gorgeous! :)
  • Dar Homer

Your paint Behr 'Falling Snow' was it Eggschell or Flat?
  • Carol Cole

Does the thickness of the board matter?
  • Dpatterson

How did you bring the electric outlet on the "before" picture out to fit the new thickness of the wall after you installed the shiplap planks. Is there an easy way? I don't know much about electricity. Thanks
    • Sherri M.

There is a special box that brings the receptacles forward. I've used them with both tile and wood DIY projects.

The folks at Home Depot were very friendly and happy to tell you the step by step process. Good luck!

• Dpatterson

Thanks!

• Pat Book Correll

Did you use a spacer between boards or just nailed them flush with each other?

• Karen

Yes. U said u got the guy where u bought the wood to cut it. Was it plywood u purchased ?

• Bronxgirlcl

Can you glue the wood strips rather than nailing them? My wall is filled with plumbing pipes and you can't use nails or screws anywhere

on it. It's a smaller wall. Thanks

• Sandy

My best quests is use liquid nails. But I would call A Home Depot or Lowe’s wood specialist first and see what they say.

• Mary

i like all of your projects wish i could hire you to redecorate my house

• Jane

Love what you have done. Looks amazing!!