How to seal a plank board for a shelf?

Tova PearlPaulRuidoso
+4

I need to seal an old piece of wood that I'm using for a shelf in a kitchen. It's very rustic. i've sanded it some, but it still has some splintering on edges. This won't hurt anything, I'm mainly wanting to make it easier for dusting.
  • Johnchip
    Johnchip

I would apply a few coats of varathane, a marine varnish. It will seal, waterproof, make almost a clear plastic coated like finish (think boat hull) lasts forever.

William

Three coats of water based polyurethane would work. Lightly sand in between coats. Water based poly won't yellow over time like oil based poly.

• Stephanie corley
    Stephanie corley

You may also want to check the Valspar paints. I used the canned clear coat on everything. An antique dealer told me about this.

William

Valspar is good too! Used it for years, until I got some free samples from Minwax and fell in love.

• Ruidoso
    Ruidoso

These are all great suggestions. I have even used various shades of Old English on rough shelves. Just repeat applications smooths out the rough spots. If you do any of these ideas, you will be so happy when you have to dust them/-)

• Paul
    Paul

You could go all natural. Pioneer Wood Patina has a Natural Beeswax Paste which is made from all food grade products. WWW.PIONEER-WOOD.COM

• Tova Pearl
    Tova Pearl

I've used two coats of the clear water based poly that someone suggested above. It's been about three years and holding up well, though it's not in the kitchen: if your shelf is gonna get a lot of steam hitting it then i would put on a few more coats.