DIY Stencil Tutorial: Paint a Linen Fabric Wall Finish

The elements of design that every room needs are color, pattern, and texture. But with so many elements, it can be hard to include each when you are decorating. Not to worry! We’ve got you covered! Wall Stencils and a unique wall finish is all you need to decorate with color, pattern, AND texture. In this DIY décor tutorial, we show you how to do the technique of dragging, or stria, which creates fabric-like texture to an otherwise smooth wall.
Video Tutorial!
Supplies:
Mandala Fusion Tile Wall Stencil from Royal Design Studio
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in Old White and Pure White
Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat Paint in Merino
Aqua Glaze® by Faux Effects®
Off White Latex Paint
Premixed Joint Compound
4”-6” Nylon Roller and Tray
4” Chip Brush
Wallpaper Smoothing Brush
Plastic sheet or contractor’s paper
Painter’s tape and paper towels
PAINT A LINEN FABRIC FINISH
Step 1: Place down plastic sheet or contractor’s paper to protect the surrounding floor area. We’re about to get messy!
Step 2: Mix 1 part latex paint with 4 parts premixed joint compound. You can use a drill mixer to speed up the mixing process, if you have one available.
Step 3: Generously load a 6” paint roller with the paint mix and roll it onto the wall. Make sure to paint small areas (18” by 36” sections) at a time because this paint mix dries very fast!
Step 4: Immediately drag a wallpaper smoothing brush vertically through the paint mix on the wall. Use a takeoff and landing technique with the brush to avoid obvious starting and stopping points. Allow to dry.
Step 5: Repeat Steps 3 and 4, but this time drag the brush horizontally through the paint mix.
Step 6: Smooth out your start and stopping points as much as possible. Allow the wall to dry.
STENCILING THE WALL
Step 1: Center and secure the Mandala Fusion Tile Wall Stencil on the wall with painter’s tape.
Step 2: Pour Old White and Pure White Chalk Paint® side by side in the paint tray. Double load the 4” roller with both colors at once. Use the off-loading method and remove excess paint onto a paper towel.
Step 3: Use the roller to stencil the mandala design onto the wall with light pressure and in random directions. The multiple colors and random painting directions will help give the design a distressed fabric look.
Step 4: Use the registration marks built right into the stencil to repeat the design across the wall.
Step 5: Mix 1 part off-white paint with 5 parts Aqua Glaze.
Step 6: Load the 4” chip brush with the glaze mix and use the off-loading method and remove excess paint onto a paper towel.
Step 7: Use the dry brush technique with light pressure and cross hatch motion. This will highlight the raised areas of the stria finish.
Stencils and Supplies from royaldesignstudio.com
And there you have it, folks! Texture is a key element to creating a special space, and this DIY tutorial is a great way to include texture in your home in a totally unique way.

Mandala Fusion Wall Stencil

To see more: http://www.royaldesignstudio.com

• Robyn Garner

I have hideous floor to ceiling, wall to wall mirror in my 80's home. I HATE it!!! Really, really hate it! Do you think this type of paint mixed with joint compound will stay stuck on the mirrors? I know using just paint will scratch off. TY!

• Robyn Garner

Thank you everyone for all your creative thoughts and ideas. I appreciate each and every one!

I have now made some decisions on my solution. I have only 2 seams in the mirror, both above the entry to the kitchen. I will fill those as smooth as possible using joint compound.

There is metal trim on all exposed edges. I will paint those to match at the end of the project.

I have decided that I will use removable, peel-and-stick wallpaper(s). The mirror that is an entire wall will be covered with a patterned, color wallpaper yet to be chosen. The short wall that defines the "entry" I am thinking of using a textured brick peel-and-stick on both sides of the wall, including the edge (wall thickness). I may even extend it along the side wall to meet the entry door wall. I want to add a bit more texture with joint compound and a white-washed finish.

LOL! Now that I have a plan, it also means that I'm noticing that everything needs to be repainted and having to do that, I want to start a complete redo of the decor. Where to begin lol! I know it's the wallpaper color and pattern to work the paint off of. And a new entryway light. And maybe a total furniture/room rearrangement!

Thanks again!

• Siegrid Monika Yebba

I like the blue plant etage. Is it a DIY? If not, any info on where to buy it?

Thanks.

• Renee

Do you have any suggestions on how to navigate corners when applying the linen texture and the stencil?

• Royal Design Studio

Check out our website on how to stencil corners :) We have video tutorials - Royal Design Studio Stencils :)