DIY Stencil Tutorial: Paint a Linen Fabric Wall Finish

The elements of design that every room needs are color, pattern, and texture. But with so many elements, it can be hard to include each when you are decorating. Not to worry! We’ve got you covered! Wall Stencils and a unique wall finish is all you need to decorate with color, pattern, AND texture. In this DIY décor tutorial, we show you how to do the technique of dragging, or stria, which creates fabric-like texture to an otherwise smooth wall.
Video Tutorial!
Supplies:
Mandala Fusion Tile Wall Stencil from Royal Design Studio
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint® in Old White and Pure White
Behr Premium Plus Interior Flat Paint in Merino
Aqua Glaze® by Faux Effects®
Off White Latex Paint
Premixed Joint Compound
4”-6” Nylon Roller and Tray
4” Chip Brush
Wallpaper Smoothing Brush
Plastic sheet or contractor’s paper
Painter’s tape and paper towels
PAINT A LINEN FABRIC FINISH
Step 1: Place down plastic sheet or contractor’s paper to protect the surrounding floor area. We’re about to get messy!
Step 2: Mix 1 part latex paint with 4 parts premixed joint compound. You can use a drill mixer to speed up the mixing process, if you have one available.
Step 3: Generously load a 6” paint roller with the paint mix and roll it onto the wall. Make sure to paint small areas (18” by 36” sections) at a time because this paint mix dries very fast!
Step 4: Immediately drag a wallpaper smoothing brush vertically through the paint mix on the wall. Use a takeoff and landing technique with the brush to avoid obvious starting and stopping points. Allow to dry.
Step 5: Repeat Steps 3 and 4, but this time drag the brush horizontally through the paint mix.
Step 6: Smooth out your start and stopping points as much as possible. Allow the wall to dry.
STENCILING THE WALL
Step 1: Center and secure the Mandala Fusion Tile Wall Stencil on the wall with painter’s tape.
Step 2: Pour Old White and Pure White Chalk Paint® side by side in the paint tray. Double load the 4” roller with both colors at once. Use the off-loading method and remove excess paint onto a paper towel.
Step 3: Use the roller to stencil the mandala design onto the wall with light pressure and in random directions. The multiple colors and random painting directions will help give the design a distressed fabric look.
Step 4: Use the registration marks built right into the stencil to repeat the design across the wall.
Step 5: Mix 1 part off-white paint with 5 parts Aqua Glaze.
Step 6: Load the 4” chip brush with the glaze mix and use the off-loading method and remove excess paint onto a paper towel.
Step 7: Use the dry brush technique with light pressure and cross hatch motion. This will highlight the raised areas of the stria finish.
Stencils and Supplies from royaldesignstudio.com
And there you have it, folks! Texture is a key element to creating a special space, and this DIY tutorial is a great way to include texture in your home in a totally unique way.

Mandala Fusion Wall Stencil

16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
25 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You SUPER Excited for Christmas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
These Clever Decor Ideas Are So Perfect For Summer
15 Memorial Day Crafts

To see more: http://www.royaldesignstudio.com

• Siegrid Monika Yebba

I like the blue plant etage. Is it a DIY? If not, any info on where to buy it?

Thanks.

• Renee

Do you have any suggestions on how to navigate corners when applying the linen texture and the stencil?

• Royal Design Studio

Check out our website on how to stencil corners :) We have video tutorials - Royal Design Studio Stencils :)

• I have two questions. First, can you explain "take off and landing technique"? And do you think I could do this over wall paper I primed it first? This is exciting! I really wanted to add some texture to a room but it has 40 year old wallpaper that wont budge and I REALLY dont want to have to sparkle the whole damn wall. Pretty sure this would kill two birds with one stone 😉 thanks a bunch, im feeling inspired

• Thanks jacx, I'll do just that. I have a small corner behind the door that I attempted to pull the wallpaper back, and it did exactly what you said, it pulled the drywall paper off as well. I just stuck a couple thumbtacks in it to hold it in place. Luckily, the wallpaper is not vinyl, its fabricy and has texture to it. Well, that was like 4 years ago so it's still just stuck there with thumbtacks. Its an really awful red and brown plaid and I am ready to never see it again! I'll get some primer this weekend and give it a couple coats, that alone will be an improvement. Thanks again