DIY Newspaper Framed Mirror

The beginning of fall represents for many of us a time to decorate and refresh our homes. I love making things that are inexpensive and earth friendly. It's amazing how many different kinds of accent pieces you can create using ordinary newspapers. From flowers, vases, baskets, to holiday trees., it's interesting to see how newspaper can be transformed into very interesting decorative objects. And the best part, they costs next to nothing to create.
So, how did I make this framed mirror? I started by cutting strips of newspaper, rolled them up using a thin wood skewer and glued the triangular ends with plain white glue.
Next, I placed the tubes in a clockwise pattern on a cardboard circle the same size as the mirror . . .
filling tubes in-between and . . .
and gluing in place with a fast grab tacky glue.
Next, I placed together two additional tubes horizontally, gluing in place, and then clamped down to dry.
Then I glued on the mirror with tacky glue, weighing it down with a heavy object to dry. To weave the frame, begin by taking the two tubes twisting one over the other, and picking up the next tube, over one, and between the tubes.
Continue twisting the horizontal tubes and picking up the next tube between the twisted tubes - or one tube over and one tube under.
Lengthen the twisting tubes by adding glue to the tube end and inserting a new tube.
It may be necessary to twist the tubes more between tube spaces before overlapping the next tube. Be sure to tighten and push together the woven rows as you progress.
To finish off the rows, tighten any loose areas by pushing the rows together and then turn the frame over. Place tacky glue on each tube at the woven edge and bend the tube over, clamping down to hold until dry.
Once dry, cut off excess tubing. Spray on a matte varnish or sealant after covering mirror for protection. Add a removable command strip for hanging on the back cardboard.
This handcrafted framed mirror from recycle newspaper is an earth friendly, inspired accent piece that's very stylish, innovative and quite inexpensive to make! How fun it would be to make one yourself!

• Newspaper
  • Glue/tacky glue/skewer
  • Mirror

10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Get The Outdoor Space You've Always Dreamed Of With These DIY Ideas
Try These Gorgeous Ideas And The Mailman Will Never Miss Your Mailbox!
These 21 Bloggers Came Up With The Most Amazing Organization Ideas
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
15 Bathroom Upgrades That You Can Totally DIY
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Gail@Purple Hues and Me

• Bonnie

I like it!

• Patty

I love this idea! Didn't know it was that involved. Your instructions are very good.