Corinne
Corinne
  • South Jordan, UT

Headboard Redo

This is my headboard...
headboard redo, bedroom ideas, how to, reupholstoring, reupholster
As you can see, it had seen better days!! First thing my husband sanded and painted the headboard with interior Glidden paint from Home Depot, using "Coastal Charcoal".
I started with a piece of insulation board ( I had it on hand so that's why I used it). I cut it to the size of where I wanted to inset it, minus 1/2" to allow for fabric and batting.
I then covered the insulation board with a twin mattress topper. It's the same measurement as the insulation board.
I then added 2 layers of batting the same size as the board.
I then added one more layer, but this one I had added an extra 3" on all sides so it could be brought over and secured to the back. ( I used a glue gun to secure it to the board).
I then laid my fabric down right side down, placed the padded board padded side down. I had to purchase a piece of luan board ( its thin and Home Depot cut it to the size I needed). The luan board was laid next, and with the help of my husband we stapled the fabric to the back. I worked from side to side pulling nice and snug as I went. I then decided to use Velcro to attach my padded board to my wood headboard. I used the heavy duty Velcro, and as an added measure I stapled each piece to make sure it would stay (the padded board and headboard sides).
Here's my before and after!!!
So happy with the results!!! I used this fabric because it was something I had on hand. I also made a bedskirt to match!!
And here's my matching bedskirt!!

• Elizabeth

Beautiful headboard. How did you make the bedskirt?
    Thanks for sharing.

• Corinne

I just took all the measurements from the bedskirt I was replacing.

• Margot

Are going to get something to match the colors of headboard, instead of the red/pink and grey on the bed?

• Margot

Good luck on your move! You did a great job!! I'm sure everything will look beautiful together. Would love to see everything once you get settled. Maybe even more ideas to share!

• Brittney Cunningham

I love this piece I love the fabric I am into the hippie fabric I love it so much it's something that I use in a lot of my DIY makeovers and projects that I do as well I was just wondering if you might remember the name of that fabric? again I applaud you on such a beautiful piece very well done thank you so much for sharing!!!

• Corinne

I purchased this fabric several years ago from Hancock’s, but don’t remember anything else in regards to the fabric though. I do know Hancock fabrics are now available on line through Michael’s. JoAnn and Hobby Looby also carry that brand, just not sure if they have this exact pattern.

• Linda Abate

Beautiful job on this headboard. Love the flowered material you chose and adding a bed skirt really finishes this off nicely. Great job.

• Sue

I think the headboard and skirt are really good looking.