Dolly Sarrio
Dolly Sarrio
  • Timmonsville, SC

Drying Flowers With Borax Cornmeal Mixture

I do enjoy growing flowers and hydrangeas are one of my favorites. This comes from being a child and visiting my grandma's house. She had some of the most beautiful blue old fashioned ones growing at the front of her porch. I remember just standing and looking at those beautiful flowers and the Crepe Myrtle trees that stood close by.
For years I've cut and brought them inside to dry naturally for a touch of color during the winter months. This year I decided to dry some in this mixture and well I'll tell you more about it in this post.
drying flowers with borax cornmeal mixture, crafts, flowers, gardening, home decor
I use a lot of Borax in making my household cleaners so I had it on hand. Of course I keep cornmeal around cooking as much as I do, so I thought why not try this drying mixture for flowers.
I'm not going to lead you on and say this mixture worked great for me, because it didn't! It did work fair, but not what I expected. I will share the process and maybe some of you will have better luck than I. Let me know if you do.
STEPS TO DRYING FLOWERS
Find an airtight container large enough to hold the blooms you are working with
A box will do but you must tape all open areas closed to make it airtight.
This box had a cushioned/padded thick tissue in it so I used it.
Mixture: One Part 20 Mule Team Borax to Two Parts Corn Meal
1. Place mixture in bottom of container 2. Add bloom or blooms. 3. Cover with mixture
4. Seal tightly or close box and tape all openings securely, note leaving any for air to get into box.
Store at room temp in a dry place for 7 - 10 days
Remove flowers from mixture and shake easily to clear flower.
I would do this outside because it makes a mess.
Blooms will be fragile
I don't know why there are brown spots on the blooms.
Perhaps they still had some moisture on them when I placed them in the box.
I didn't see any but don't know.
This bloom had colors of green, white, lavender when fresh.
This may do alright for Fall.
I don't have the heart to throw it away.
The blue was done as well. The color came out pretty good but some of the little portions swiveled up, which you can see in this picture.
I do think it worked just not as I had expected. The blue bloom is a beautiful color and all have dried and are doing well. I guess I would recommend that you do cut your blooms fresh in the morning but give me a day to dry well before putting into the mixture. Happy Crafting All!
Visit the website I'd love to have you over there. Leave your email and you will receive notification when a new post comes up and that is all. No spam will be sent to you. www.hibiscushouseblog.com

• Borax  (Walmart)
  • Corn Meal  (Grocery)
Dolly Sarrio

• Jean Darnell

I'm a wannabe newly but I was wondering if there was something you could pre-treat the flowers with before you put it in the borax. I don't know - just throwing it out there.

• Maria

I used granulated silica from Michaels. I put in lovely fresh pink hydrangeas and they mostly dried to a dull flat beige. They looked ugly in a vase, so I discarded them. We no longer have these flowers. For those with hydrangeas, I wonder if They could be spray painted, but what color and what paint?

• Cas21971085

Why do you need to add cornmeal to the Borax? I am experimenting with 100% Borax and I will let you know how it goes!

• Dolly Sarrio

I do not know if you have to. Let me know if just the Borax works for you please.

• Jbl9930852

I use hairspray all the time!! I have saved, or dried every rose that my husband has given me in the last 25+ years we have been together. My sis-in-law gave me some of her BEAUTIFUL hydrangeas this fall and hung them up side down to dry, then sprayed them with hairspray, and viola.....they are beautiful in my stair step basket!!

• Oh that is the sweetest thing I have heard in a long time! After talking to my girlfriend. She says she blow drys hers to "dust" them every 6 months or so. Now let me clarify. They NEVER crack a window open in their house. Plus she says she is using a 35 year old hair dryer that is 600 watts (she says it is barely chugging along now), when 600 watts was a big deal - I remember those days! And she says she stands about a foot away. At least this might give us all a good giggle - ;-)

• Peggy Condra

I am desperately trying to find a solution for beautiful silk roses that fade onto other flowers , the roses are red . They will be used in my granddaughters wedding , in June of next year . To late to send back and no help from the seller . Any advice would be greatly appreciated ! .......Thank you