Cabin Kitchen and Dining Space Renovation DIY

917K Views
This is what the kitchen looked like when we saw it for the first time on the real estate agent's website.
We just weren't too big of a fan of the knotty pine ( I thought it was hickory until some smart home talkers told me differently).
We began this project by removing the cabinet over the microwave in the corner and by replacing the bad cook top. We then started painting the cabinets in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and finishing them off with wax.
You can see close up details on a previous post I did here.
http://www.hometalk.com/8415586/chalk-painted-knotty-pine-cabinets
Now I know there are wood enthusiast out there and I respect your vision! BUT I am not a yellow wood kind of person and this kind of change works great for us. The kitchen, finished being painted looks like this :
We also wanted to create more storage space in the cabin (it is only 600 sq ft) so we decided to add some more cabinets. I figured I could get some unfinished cabinets like this one and I could stain it black.
We decided to top these cabinets with lumber and to put shelves of lumber as well. We like how it adds to the overall rustic look of the cabin and adds so much more storage for us.
The finished product looks like this
We hope you like the way we updated the kitchen area of our cabin. We sure love it. Also the elongated shelves was all the husbands idea!
It is important to note this is not our full time residence so we do not need a dining room as we simply eat on tv tables but we are foodies and have a food website so we do need ample space to work inside the kitchen.
If you want to see more details on the renovation, please go take a look at my website!

Suggested materials for this project:

• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  (Local Annie Sloan distributer, Shades of Amber)
  • Cabinets  (Lowes)
  • Stain  (Lowes)
RCooper @ thoughtsbyher.com

Want more details about this project and other DIY projects? Check out my blog post!

• Zeebo
    Zeebo Hugo, MN

Because it's a cabin I would have left the knotty pine, which is timeless. You have now dated your cabin.

• Leah Bowers Bopp
        Leah Bowers Bopp Saint Clair, MO

I paint everything. Lol. I think it looks great. Cleaner and homey. And it’s still a cabin. But I am a totally open minded person and I’m always looking for ways to improve things around my house. My husband is a negative nelly. He always says that I’m going to eff it up. And every time I am finished, he always admits it looks better. Keep doing you!

• Kaye Matthes
        Kaye Matthes Rocky Hill, CT

This looks wonderful! I like how you used the beadboard to add texture to the doors of the cabinets. While I don't usually like open shelves in a kitchen. But for a second home I think it works.