Cabin Kitchen and Dining Space Renovation DIY

This is what the kitchen looked like when we saw it for the first time on the real estate agent's website.
We just weren't too big of a fan of the knotty pine ( I thought it was hickory until some smart home talkers told me differently).
cabin kitchen and dining space renovation diy, kitchen design, The before photo from realtor com
The before photo from realtor.com
We began this project by removing the cabinet over the microwave in the corner and by replacing the bad cook top. We then started painting the cabinets in Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and finishing them off with wax.
You can see close up details on a previous post I did here.
http://www.hometalk.com/8415586/chalk-painted-knotty-pine-cabinets
Now I know there are wood enthusiast out there and I respect your vision! BUT I am not a yellow wood kind of person and this kind of change works great for us. The kitchen, finished being painted looks like this :
cabin kitchen and dining space renovation diy, kitchen design, Cabinet reno completed
Cabinet reno completed
We also wanted to create more storage space in the cabin (it is only 600 sq ft) so we decided to add some more cabinets. I figured I could get some unfinished cabinets like this one and I could stain it black.
cabin kitchen and dining space renovation diy, kitchen design, The cabinets we purchased from Lowes
The cabinets we purchased from Lowes
We decided to top these cabinets with lumber and to put shelves of lumber as well. We like how it adds to the overall rustic look of the cabin and adds so much more storage for us.
cabin kitchen and dining space renovation diy, kitchen design, Close up look while still working
Close up look while still working
The finished product looks like this
cabin kitchen and dining space renovation diy, kitchen design, Finished Product
Finished Product
We hope you like the way we updated the kitchen area of our cabin. We sure love it. Also the elongated shelves was all the husbands idea!
It is important to note this is not our full time residence so we do not need a dining room as we simply eat on tv tables but we are foodies and have a food website so we do need ample space to work inside the kitchen.
If you want to see more details on the renovation, please go take a look at my website!

• Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  (Local Annie Sloan distributer, Shades of Amber)
  • Cabinets  (Lowes)
  • Stain  (Lowes)
RCooper @ thoughtsbyher.com

• Genie Medlin

Why didn‘t you just add more cabinets above as well?

• Ann Brookens

Above, she says they like the rustic look of the shelves. Shelves are also cheaper and easier than cabinets, but I don't know that that was part of their thinking.

• Joella Viterna Riggs

I love the cabinet color, but what is the wall color? I don't do well mixing /matching colors and your combination looks great.

• Mary Johnson

you did a very nice job. I know it;s a lot of work. I am interested to know how you did the ceiling, if you did. The realtors picture looks like it is a typical 8 foot ceiling but your pictures look like it is vaulted. Did you remove the old ceiling and replace it?

• Ann Mcleod

Those are the same cabinets I used in my new construction house. It's designed to look like an old country farmhouse only brand new. I had the cabinets painted a similar shade of green. Counter tops even look like mine. I love mine and yours.

• Lor19052709

This is soooo much better. I'd love a cabin just like this .....perfect for Christmas skidooing!